Ch 37: Reunion

Peter drove slowly and reluctantly, almost nervously, to Kelly's family's house. Part of him regretted ever telling Kelly, but the other part of him was glad se knew the truth. It had been two years of living a lie, and now that she knew, she had a lot to think about, so he didn't blame her for not answering her question the day before.

        As they neared, he could see from the corner of his eye that Kelly was growing nervous. In an attempt to calm her nerves, he reached over and held her hand, something he'd done a million times, especially after she had just caught another criminal. This time, however, it was different, not just for Peter, but for Kelly as well. She struggled with keeping her heart rate slowed when he took her hand. It was so gentle and kind an act, much unlike the way she had been treated with men before. It made her think maybe not all men were alike, nor after the same things.

        The car came to a slow stop and the two froze in their seats. Finally, Peter gave Kelly's hand a squeeze and said in a hoarse voice, "Maybe I should go in first. Kindof soften the blow for them..."

        Kelly just nodded, retracting her hand and hugging her knees to her chest. Peter slowly got out of the car and went to the front door, knocking gently. Within seconds, the door was opened by Kelly's mother--or rather, grandmother.

        "Peter!" She exclaimed with a smile, "What brings you here?"

        "Hello, Mrs. Banner. I just wanted to come in and say hi. Is this a bad time?"

        "No, of course not, come right in. Marie is just upstairs--"

        "I actually came bearing good news," Peter said, deciding it was a good time to tell them the truth as well, a secret he'd been keeping for Kelly's sake. "If you'll get Marie, I can tell you both together."

        Marie was retrieved and the three sat in the livingroom. Peter cleared his throat and began, "Well. My news is happy, for sure. I talked to the police and it turns out, the vigilante who's been convicting all those men recently actually caught the man who started everything with Kelly--"

        "You mean--my dad?" Marie asked in surprise, "He's--he's gone?"

        Peter nodded, "He's been imprisoned for life. He had evidence gathered on him from a few sources and finally convicted, so, you needn't wrry about him any longer. You can go back to being Polly and Francine Domonic--"

        "Wait," Fred said, "How did you know that we were..."

        "Trace told me everything that day. I drove him where he wanted to go-searching for Kelly-and he told me everything. Anyway, that's not the main reason I came here, although it is good news."

        "Go on," Mrs. Domonic said with baited breath, "Is it Trace? Have you found him?"

        "No," Peter started, "But, I did find someone else. Two years ago, a young girl came knocking at my door, tired, sscared, and alone. I knew who she was immediately."

        "Kelly?!" Fred gasped, "My baby girl is okay?"

        "Yes," Peter said, "She was released by her last owner. He ended up falling in love with her and gave her the choice of marrying him or leaving. She chose to leave, and came looking for me. At the time, I told her the lies that I read in the paper, per Trace's request. He wanted me to lie to give her the best life she could have...for two years, she's been running a Home for single mom's and homeless girls, with the help of myself and a boy named Wesley and his family."

        "My baby girl is running a Home for women? Such a kind heart--"

        Peter stifled a chuckle, "That's not all..." he said, "She is also the one who's been taking down all those men."

        "What?!" both women burst out.

        Peter nodded, "She got her revenge on the men who had owned her, with Wesley and my own help. She hurt them, then got them arrested. The first one she went to, was her father. She boiled oils, tar, and other liquids and poured them on him, burning him considerably, then she beat him until he couldn't stand. She had so much pent up anger, I didn't stop her. That sort of became her thing after that. Not the beating, just the boiling oils..."

        The women were speechless for a minute, then Francine spoke up, "Where is she now? I don't care what she's done. I need to see her and tell her the truth. It's time."

        "She knows the truth," Peter said, "I told her yesterday. I warn you, she's still confused and hurting, but she felt she was ready to come see you two, so...if you'll give me a minute, I'll go get her."

        "She's HERE?" Mrs. Domonic said in surprise, "My baby girl?"

        Peter nodded quicky, then left to retrieve Kelly. She slowly entered the room, feeling as if she was meeting two new people instead of her mother and sister. She stood before them, not the innocent thirteen year old they'd lost so many years ago, but the mature, twenty year old woman who had been through more than most in her life so far.

        Even though she was afraid and nervous, she had to remind herself this was her mother and her sister--or rather, her mother and grandmother--and she had known them her whole life. She had worked hard to get back to them since the moment she'd left, and now, as she finally stood in front of them, the only thing she could manage to say was simple, quiet, and shaky.

        "Hi," she whispered, tears springing into her eyes.

        Thus the reunion began. Her mother hugged her, Francine kissed her, and all were crying. It had been seven years since she'd last seen them, and she couldn't contan her innermost emotions, but rather, let them pour from her eyes, blocking out all vision. The only thing that would have made this reunion better, in Kelly's eyes, was if Trace had been there too.