Ch 29: Released

"Kelly," he breathed.

        "Trace," she whispered.

        It didn't take long for the two to be in each other's arms. Trace held his sister tightly as he cried and Kelly silently sobbed with many emotions flying through her mind at a million miles an hour.

        When they finally let go, they sat on the bed together and Trace spoke first, "We all thought you were dead. Mom hired so many people to find you, and the police looked for a year. They looked everywhere, but no one could find you. You were declared dead after a year, Kel. Fred is distraught--"

        "Is she..."

        "She's at home, preparing the house, with mom's help, for your return. She's cleaned your room so many times, but she started there anyhow."

        "But...is she...?"

        "She's good. She's um...She's okay. She really misses you. I still can't believe you're alive--"

        "And you? How are you doing, Trace?"

        "I've been having a lot of trouble, Kelly. I went looking for you. I took everything as a clue and...I just...I refused to believe you were dead, but after months of searching I had to give up. Mom tried to tell me to let go, but then this guy knocked on our door. His first words were: 'Kelly is alive.' I couldn't believe it."

        Kelly looked over at Peter and he nodded, knowing the look was a fond 'thank you' for doing what he did.

        "Anyway, he filled us in on what he knew and said he'd take us to you. I made the women stay at home, but they were in tears of joy when they heard."

        "How is home?"

        "Home is--" He thought about whether or not to tell her of all the trouble they've been going through, but decided against it, "Home is the same...I was hoping to bring you back with me, if you're ready...?"

        Kelly slowly nodded but soon made it a real nod, "I want to go home."

        Trace smiled and hugged and kissed her again. They talked for hours while Peter sat and listened. She told him of her life the past years and said he should tell mom and Fred so she didn't have to keep reliving it.

        "It must feel good to get it off your chest, though," Peter suggests from the corner in almost a whisper.

        Kelly glanced over and nodded, "A bit."

        "I'm sorry," her doctor interrupted, "But visiting hours are over, could you please leave?"

        "Of course. Prepare yourself, though, Kel-Kel, because tomorrow we're going home," Trace said. Kelly nodded and accepted his goodbye kiss, giving him one in return.

        "Peter, wait..." she stopped him before he left.

        "Yes?"

        "I'm sorry...and thank you," she said hoarsely.

        "There's nothing to be sorry for, and you're welcome."

        "You will come with us...won't you?"

        He sighed, run in his fingers through his hair, "My life is here, Kelly. My family, my home...But I know one thing's for sure: part of me will be leaving with you."

        Trace returned as soon as visiting hours began the next day and talked with Kelly of how and when they are going to leave. He was anxious to get her home in hopes Marie would reconcile with him and forgive him.