Ch 25: Interrogation

"When was the last time you saw your daughter?"

        "Last night. I sent her to bed after a movie night, I checked on her at nine, before I went to bed myself. The next morning was a Saturday, so we thought she was just sleeping in, until Trace went to wake her and she wasn't there."

        "Is there any reason she would want to sneak out?"

        "I don't think so, we were a bit protective, but she was always a darling about it. Why? Do you think she snuck out?"

        "We have gone over the room, as well as the windows and doors, and there is no sign of a forced entry, so either she snuck out, or whoever got her had a key."

        Kelly's mother hid her face in her hands, beginning to cry again.

        "We understand your pain, Mrs. Domonic, but we must ask this question..."

        She looked up, sniffing and nodding, allowing them to proceed.

        "Is there any reason your ex-husband would be after her? Or an old boyfriend, or family member? Anyone seeking revenge on you?"

        Mrs. Domonic shook her head after a pause, "I--I don't think so, no. Not that I know of." She paused for a few seconds, then spoke again before the policeman could, "Will you be able to find my baby? I want my baby girl back!"

        "We understand, Mrs. Domonic, and we promise to do everything we can to find your daughter. We'll contact you if we have any further questions."

        She nodded, looking down at the floor as more tears fell down her cheeks. The policeman questioned Trace, and he answered mainly the same as his mother. When they got to Francine, she jumped up and yelled, "I don't want to answer any stupid questions! I want you to leave me alone and go find my baby sister!"

        "We're doing all we can, miss, but we need to know what you know in order for us to help."

        "We've answered so many questions! Why can't you just go with what you have and find her?!"

        After a short debate with Francine, the policeman left, leaving the family to mourn in peace. For weeks, this was the norm. The police would question, as well as tell the family there was no update on finding Kelly. The days and weeks dragged by until three months had passed.

        Mrs. Domonic was forced to go back to work, because her two children couldn't bear to be out in the world because of their fear and sadness of Kelly being gone. One day, while she was at work, Trace and Francine talked.

        "What will we do if she's never found?" Francine asked.

        "I don't know, Fred. I really don't. I know there will be a huge hole in my heart for sure. Even if she was an accident--"

        "She was a brilliant addition to the family, no matter how it happened," Francine interrupted, "I miss her so much."

        "Me too."

        After a pause, Francine asked, "Would you ever go searching for her? Without the police?"

        "Fred, I have no idea where I'd start. I don't even know why she left, where she was, or most of what happened. I don't know if she had any friends, so I don't know who to ask, I just--"

        "Fine, I get it," Francine interrupted, "I was just hoping you might do this for me, but nevermind."

        "Are you going to shut me out? Fred, you KNOW there's NOTHING I can do about it! I can't just wander the states, hoping to bump into her somewhere!"