Ch 36: Ghosts

And so, Kelly's life continued. She was a mother figure to many during the day, and a vigilante through the night, getting only as much sleep as is necessary to sustain life. To all, she looked strong, confident, and happy, but nothing she did fooled Peter. He'd seen her in that hospital bed every day for months. He'd grow accustomed to her facial expressions and hidden tells. To him, she was suffering.

        The day was warm, with a pleasant breeze blowing through the trees, fanning the world gently. It was a saturday, and Kelly had just come home from busting another criminal. She was sleepy, but didn't want to sleep the day away, so, she went onto the back porch. She went out there, thinking she'd be alone, so when she saw Peter, she was startled.

        "Oh, hey, Peter. Sorry to disturb you--Can i sit out here?"

        "You're always welcome, love," Peter answered, patting the chair next to his, "It's a beautiful day."

        "Mhmm," Kelly replied quietly, hugging a sweater around her small frame and pulling her knees up onto the chair, "Days like this, Trace and Fred and I would play in the backyard while mom watched either from the porch or the kitchen window. We'd play tag, play with the sprinkler, or sometimes mud fights if it had just rained. We had such GOOD times together...Sometimes--nevermind..." her voice trailed off softly.

        "No, what?" Peter asked, "I want to know what you were going to say."

        Kelly simply shook her head.

        "Kel, you never talk about your family...It's okay to talk about them once in a while."

        "No," Kelly started, but Peter insisted.

        "If you don't, it'll eat away at you and there won't be anything left."

        Kelly glanced over at him, then sighed, looking out into the backyard of the house, seeing the green grass and fences. She smiled to herself, almost being able to physically see the ghosts of her and her siblings playing as she began to speak, "Sometimes I wish none of this had ever happened to me...That I had stayed with mom and Trace and Francine. I miss them so much..."

        Peter bit the inside of his lips so as not to say anything he shouldn't.

        "We had such great times together, and now...now Fred is dead, mom is overseas, and Trace is who knows where--if he's even still alive! Is it selfish of me to wish that none of this had happened? Even though it led to me opening this place? I feel like such a hypocrite sometimes."

        "I don't think its selfish. Everyone deserves to have a family..." Peter answered, his voice trailing off slowly.

        "Yeah, everyone deserves a family, except me. I lied to my family, went behind their backs, and that's what got me into trouble. It's all my fault they're gone. I bet they don't even care about what happened to me because of how I acted---"

        "Kelly, listen to me," Peter interrupted, "I have something important to tell you."

        Kelly directed her attention away from reminiscing and let her eyes lock with Peter's. This made it harder for him to say what he knew he needed to say. It had been over two years, and it was time she knew the truth.

        "Your family is alive, Kelly. Francine isn't dead, and your mother isn't overseas--"

        "What are you talking about, Peter? That's what you told me two years ago--"

        "I lied."

        "What?"

        "Trace told me to tell you what I did in case I ever saw you again. When you came to my door, I wanted to tell you everything, but I had a promise to keep to Trace. He's the only one I don't know the location of, but--but I know where your mom and--and Fred are..."

        Tears dripped down Kelly's face, but her expression remained placid, "Peter, tell me what you know, now."

        Peter then told her of the conversations between himself and Trace, then he went inside to gather the newspaper clippings. When she'd read them, he told her it was all a lie, to protect them from her father. He told her they had new identities and a new home, but were still her family.

        "And...Kelly, there's one more thing--"

        "Ah, the icing on the cake," Kelly choked out, holding back sobs with her entire being.

        "You're not who you think you are--"

        "What's that supposed to mean? Am I adopted or something?"

        "Well, in a way--let me just tell you what Trace told me..." He began telling her of her father, and what a horrid man he was on the anniversaries of the death of his mother, and how he'd learned from his father when it came to being a bully when drunk. "So...you see," he hesitated, "your mom isn't your mom--"

        "What are you trying to tell me, Peter? Just spit it out!" she almsot yelled.

        "Francine is your biological mother."

        "What?" Kelly breathed, "No, that can't be true--I--"

        "Think about it, Kelly. She's thirteen years older than you. Why else would there be such a big gap? Your father raped her, and she conceived and bore you nine months later. You are Francine's daughter."

        Kelly stood up, drying her eyes with the palms of her hands, "I have to see them, I have to see my family," she demanded.

        "Kelly, I don't know if that's a good id--"

        "You shut up. You don't get to tell me what's good for me or not. I need to see them and if you know where they are, you're going to take me to them right now, Peter Jefferys!"

        "Kelly," Peter said standing, "I told you all of this for a reason. I wanted no secrets to be between us because I wanted to tell you something very important."

        Kelly sniffed, more tears dripping down her cheeks, "What?"

        "I know you have problems trusting men, and that's completely fair, and I respect that...but I need you to know something before we do anything else. If you answer me one question, I will take you to see your family."

        Kelly nodded, "Anything."

        "Do you love me as much as I love you?"

        Kelly was startled. She'd never loved a boy before, besides Trace, so she didn't know what it felt like. She turned away, facing the yard instead of Peter. She was afraid that with love came the pain she had escaped two years previous. She vowed to never let another man touch her, but now, Peter is confessing love to her. Is this like Derek? Will he want to marry her? Or just rape her like all the rest?

        'No,' she told herself, 'Peter is different. He respects me. He's my friend.'

        She thought for a few more seconds, then turned back to Peter and whispered, "I'm afriad."

        Peter carefully walked forward and gently hugged around her small body, kissing the top of her head, "I know, Kelly. I know. I'm sorry I brought it up. Do you want to go see your family now?"

        Kelly nodded slowly, "I do. I want to see my family."