Chapter 26

Rather short chapter. It's actually a part 2 of chapter 25, but whatever.

_____________

The whole time I was in Sophia's black BMW, I was feeling numb, curled up into a ball against the leather seat which did nothing whatsoever in calming my nerves.

Sophia kept shooting me worried glances as she sped to the hospital, flipping off a policeman as he advanced towards us at a checkpoint. She was going at about twice the speed limit, but she was more worried about Tyler's life than speeding fines.

I was rather oblivious to all this, since I was stuck in my own world, trying to get the shock off and pushing away that large stone weighing on my chest. The tears won't coming.

Tyler was not waking up. He was unconscious. Coma.

I squeezed my eyes shut as New York's flashing lights zoomed past us from behind the windows.

Thousands of memories came into my mind, each like a single stab to my heart. It was worse than when he broke my heart.

Suddenly the car stopped and I snapped out of my thoughts, looking at Sophia in confusion. Pure fury was evident on her face and I couldn't help but flinch. That death glare she had could kill anyone she sent it to.

"What's happening? Why'd we stop?" I asked urgently. Every second was precious now. It was either a second more to Tyler's death, or a second more till he wakes up. Either way, I knew I had to be there when one of them happened.

I heard her mutter something like "f*ck national service men", before slamming the steering wheel in anger. She shot me a brief apologetic smile before turning her head to her window as she wind it down, facing a thirty-something experienced police officer.

He had a grimace on his face and looked pretty annoyed. He looked momentarily stunned by Sophia's death glare but quickly composed himself.

"Ma'am, may I see your driver's license and--"

"You listen here, mister, and you listen GOOD," Sophia snarled, jabbing a finger onto the policeman's chest. "My name is Sophia Mackenzie, if by any means that will help you and crappy excuse of a team, and my best friend is dying in New York General Hospital. His girlfriend is in the car next to me and is temporarily traumatized, and it would turn permanent if we never get to the hospital in less than five minutes. So, I don't give a damn if you have to lose your job, but a life is at stake here and I know that a death on your list won't be a good part of your resum€ in the future. Pick one: Lose your job anyway, or let us go save our friend and nothing happens to you."

The policeman looked startled and bit his lip. Wow, I didn't know they hired such wimps in the national service.

After a pause which had Sophia tapping her manicured nails impatiently on the steering wheel, the man gulped and gave a slow nod.

"Why don't you take a ride with us instead? It could save you a ride and lots of speeding fines," he said, smiling weakly. Sophia nodded grimly and got out, holding out a hand for me.

We got into the police car and sped off, for Tyler.

~~~

We dashed into the hospital, skidding to a stop in front of the receptionist.

"Tyler Thomas, recently admitted," Sophia told her. The woman gave us sympathetic smiles that tugged at my heartstrings.

"The boy's on the third floor, emergency ward. Please refrain from disrupting the checkup."

We raced upstairs, not bothering to wait for the lift. We burst into the waiting room and saw Mr and Mrs Thomas, and Tiara sitting on the plastic chairs. Mrs Thomas was bawling her lungs out and Mr Thomas was trying his best to comfort her. Tiara looked drawn and pale and her hair was lessening, forming a slight bald patch at her fringe. She stood up when she saw me, a grim expression plastered on her face.

"Tiara," I whispered, falling forward to hug her tightly. She let go of all her tears, sobbing uncontrollably.

"What happened?" I asked the rest.

Mr Thomas looked up at me and I saw the sorrow and despair in his eyes for his dying son.

"Someone found him in an alley and called the ambulance. The doctor found stabs wound to his back and his chest. It hurt his lung and now he can't breathe. He's in a coma, Hailey," he explained slowly.

I felt my chest constrict and my legs gave way. Mrs Thomas cried out and Sophia tugged at my arm, trying to get me to stand up.

I knew who did it to him.

"When can we go in?" I whispered.

"Hailey, honey, they're operating on him. You can't go in," Mrs Thomas choked out.

I nodded slowly.

"He's going to be all right. He's going to just fine. One week later, you guys would be laughing over this, crying about all those stupid things you did. Right now, just think about him, Hails," Sophia cooed, hugging me. I nodded mutely, not really hearing.

But my heart said otherwise;

Tyler was not okay. Tyler was never okay.

And it was because of Andrew.

____________________

Another upload in a few minutes! Wait for it :)