Chapter 23

WARNING: Abuse Ahead!

Everyday, the routine was the same. Go to school, try to find Tyler who'd avoid me, then after school knock on his door, then go home at 10pm, wallowing in my misery.

No one had opened the door anymore.

Rumours were circulating around the school about my being a slut and I tried my best to keep a low cover.

I knew I shouldn't be wallowing in my despair. I should be strong and keeping my head up and not giving a flying f*ck about what people think of me. But my mum madde sure that I could never be like that.

Her words from last time were still echoing in my head.

I would never be loved.

That thought was like a bullet to my heart and I coughed a little, trying to keep the tears in, as I walked on the familiar pavement.

To Tyler's house.

Again.

I knocked on the door and pressed on the doorbell and waited outside, wringing my hands and squeezing my eyes shut, praying....just praying that someone would open up.

Click.

My head snapped up and my eyes widened. The door swung open and there stood Mrs Thomas.

Her eyes were wide and surprised as she stared at me as if I'd grown two heads. Then her expression changed to anger...with a tinge of sympathy?

"He doesn't want to see you, Hailey," she hissed.

"I'm sorry, Mrs Thomas...I-I just came back...I thought...I just..." I stammered, feeling the tears about to break through. Her expression softened a little but I could tell she wasn't going to move. I couldn't blame her. What Tyler thought I did--or didn't do, actually--was bound to hurt him badly.

"Wait here. He asked me to give you something if you ever came," she said, before turning around.

"I've always been here," I whispered, more to myself.

She returned a while later, a piece of paper in her hands. She nodded at me before putting her hand to the door, my cue to leave.

As I turned around, the piece of paper clutched tightly in my hands, I heard her say my name softly.

I spun around and looked at her, biting my lip. Her expression was strange, mixed with so many emotions.

"Hailey...Don't worry, I don't think you did it. You're sensible. You're not like one of those stereotypes. You're the strongest girl I've ever met," she said, smiling proudly at me. I nodded numbly, a weak smile finding its way to my lips, before turning around and getting the hell out of there.

Once I rounded the corner, I opened the letter and took in a deep breath before unfolding it.

'Hailey,

You killed me inside. What you did is unforgivable. If you ever loved me, you wouldn't have done it. Now I know, you're a slut. Simple and plain slut. You won't ever be loved just as you won't love anybody.

Don't bother coming back to my door. It's annoying and desperate. I don't give a damn about either.

Tyler.'

The letter dropped from my hands and I slid down against the wall. There was a big gaping hole in my heart. I felt worthless and stupid. The tears didn't come, even though I thought they would; they were dry and they were empty. I had no more tears to spill.

I was losing Tyler, and I couldn't get him back.

I was hurt, beyond repair, but I knew I deserved it.