Chapter 56

"And so, that's the story."

You end your long story with a cheerful tone, not wanting to make the story sounds so sad.

But it's a different case with gaara. He seems to sympathize with you a lot, so he just stares at you with a frown on his forehead.

He looks troubled.

"I didn't know you were having such a difficult life before, (name). I'm sorry that i didn't give much attention to you."

You smile at him.

"Just why are you sorry, you weirdo? It had nothing to do with you, so you don't have to worry. Plus, everything is settled."

You assure him with your usual happy-go-lucky attitude, but the red-haired male doesn't feel relieved. He is still burdened by the fact that you had to go through everything alone.

"But still, (name), I'm sorry. And now that i think about it, the rules in suna must have burdened you-"

Suddenly, he gasps.

"Oh my God, there was a rule about hair. Is that why you cut your hair, (name)? Because of the rule?"

You giggle awkwardly at his question without answering him. Well, that's true, but you can't just answer him directly like that.

And gaara definitely feels guilty. He smacks his head and keeps his gaze down.

"I'm sorry..."

Those words come out in a low whisper, with a sad tone in his articulation. Somehow, to you, it's funny.

It's nothing to be stressed about, but he's so concerned by it. It makes him look cute.

You just stare at him with a smile on your face. He is very weird.

When he's suna high's council president, he looks so stern and composed, as if he can do everything on his own. But when you know him as gaara, his real self, he is just a cute innocent boy. Such a difference in his attitude.

Not long after, gaara notices that you're staring at him, so he looks at you with a confused face.

"Is there anything wrong?"

He asks, curious.

You simply shake your head.

"Nothing. It's just that, i think it's amazing that you can empathize so much with me. It means you are a kind person. Thank you, gaara."

Gaara also smiles bashfully after he hears your compliments. It's the first time someone tells him that he's kind, given that he looks so cold and people are afraid to approach him.

But for you, it's a different case. You're not like anyone else. You are not afraid of him and you always try to understand him for who he is.

That's why he is easily touched by you.

"Listen, (name)."

You turn to him as he calls out your name.

"Hm?"

"Well... I know it's so sudden, but, do you want to study together tonight?"

You startle at his offer.

"I-i mean... I know this building quite well, so i know the right place to study in peace without any disturbance. So... Maybe we can spend some alone time together...? I-in studying, i mean. Nothing else. Please don't misunderstand."

You remain silent, not knowing what to answer. It is just too sudden now.

Meanwhile, gaara has grown anxious.

"Sorry... I know you would've been confused since it's so sudden. B-but i understand if you want to study with your friends. It'll be normal to spend time with them on the night before the competition, so it's okay even if you reject my request..."

He stops for a while.

Soon after, he continues.

"...so, (name)... How...?"

He carefully blurts out that question, in case you think that he's rushing things too much.

But, that's not the case actually. Something else is disturbing you.

You think for a while.

Studying is one thing, but spending time together at night is a bit... Fishy... Plus, you don't want to rush things with him or give him any hopes since your heart is still with sasuke.

Well, it's not like you're hundred percent confident that gaara is into you, but from the look of it, it seems right.

You sigh.

"Um... Gaara.."

"Yes?"

He stares at you with his wide eyes, the sparkles in his eyes is telling you that he's expecting positive answer.

When you look at him like that, you don't have the heart to reject his request.

You bit your lips, and finally decide your answer.

"I think... I-it wouldn't be a problem. I-i mean, I'll study with you tonight."

Gaara's eyes become much brighter when he hears you answer.

He is extremely ecstatic.

"Thank you, (name)! I'll text you tonight to tell you the where we shall meet."

You smile awkwardly at his excitement.

"Alright..."

You say.

Gaara then stands up from his seat and looks at you cheerfully.

"Let's go back to our rooms for now. I'll send you to yours."

He offers his hand to you, still smiling.

Looking at him like that, you can't helo but to smile as well.

It's stupid to worry about how you're going to spend your time with him when he is like this. Plus, you're glad that he is so happy just because you accept his request.

No one has been so happy just to spend time with you before. Nobody.

"(Name)?"

Gaara's call brings you back to reality.

"Yes? Oh, sorry."

You take his hand in front of you and also stand from your seat.

"Let's go."

Then, both of you walk towards your room together.

On the other hand, someone is walking alone around that building as well. He wants to empty his mind without any disturbance, so he turns off his phone.

Tomorrow is the competition day, but his heart hasn't been calming down since the past few weeks. That's why, he decides to be alone for a while.

As he walks alone on the hallway, his eyes catch a glimpse of a familiar figure with someone else.

It's you.

Sasuke clenches his fist as he sees you walking happily with gaara, laughing and chatting cheerfully along the walk.

It has been so long since he saw that smile, and it hurts him so much to see that smile forming on your lips because of someone else. Not him.

Sasuke takes a step forward to go and interferes with your chatters, but then, he barely stops himself.

No.

He can't do that.

It's better this way.

It's better if you're happy with someone else.

It's better than seeing you cry or being sad all the time.

This is much better.

"I can't ruin her happiness now..."

Sasuke then takes a deep, deep breath and turns around to leave.

With a heavy heart, he slowly walks away from the sight of you and gaara walking together.