Chapter 3

"Are you sure you dont want to join?"

Kakashi asks again, wanting confirmation.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry, but i can't. I just have my own reasons. I... Hope you understand."

You answer him, feeling a little guilty for rejecting his offer.
However, kakashi just throws you a smile.

"Alright. But, just so you know, this competition is very good for someone as smart as you are. We need your assistance to succeed. If... Only if you changed your mind, you know where to find me. "

He says, his eyes are brimming with hope. You only nod to him, but you know that it will never happen. You can never join that kind of competition. If you join... Something bad might happen.

"Are you okay?"

Kakashi's question brings you back to your sense.

"Yeah? Oh,, yes. I am fine. So, i better get going. Excuse me, sir."

You bow to your teacher and walk out of the teacher's room.

"Huh..."

A sigh slips out of your mouth.

"Can't afford the risk to reveal your identity, huh. "

You whisper to yourself and continue walking. Little do you realize that someone saw you right before you leave.

"What is she doing here?"

Sasuke wonders.

*********************************

"Okay, so i gather all of you today to explain more about the math competition that you are going to join. All of you here are excellent students that always pass with flying colors, especially in maths. So i have a lot of hopes in you."

Kakashi explains.

"Don't put too much hope, old man. Carrying hopes is too much of a pain."

Shikamaru interjects in his usual lazy tone.

"If carrying hopes is such a burden, then why not you make it a reality to make sure that it won't be a pain anymore? Oh, and one more. I am twenty eight and i'm not old."

Kakashi smiles, but his smile is so creepy that it sends a shiver down shikamaru's spine.
Shikamaru freaks out.

"God, this old man is scary."

He says.

Then, kakashi clears his throat to continue his interrupted speech.

"So, there are four of you here. Sasuke, shikamaru, neji and temari. A reminder, this is a group project so you must work together to accomplish it, you understand? Alright, there are three stages that we have to pass to win. Firstly, you have to answer these questions."

Kakashi hands out a few papers to them.

"There are five super hard questions that even the teachers will space out for days to answer them. And you guys have only two weeks to answer the questions. There are 100 marks for all, means that 20 marks per question. To pass the first stage, you need to get at least, 70 marks."

"Are you kidding me?! "

Temari and shikamaru are too shocked.

"It is impossible to even get 50 marks with questions like this."

Neji adds.

"Plus, there are only four of us whereby the questions are five. We have lack of members."

Sasuke also voices out his thoughts.

"I am not kidding. I have no time for it. " kakashi says.

"Well, i understand that it is a shock, but this is just the first stage. Plus, your father is one of the question makers, shikamaru."

Shikamaru frowns.

"That old man is such a pain. Just where on earth did he get such a ridiculous brain to create these ridiculous questions anyway? "

He mumbles to himself.

"And then, for the second stage, you have to create your own formulas to solve certain questions that will be given later. If your formula is acceptable, then only you can proceed to the third stage which is the quiz. On stage. "

"God, this is getting annoying. "

Temari complains.

"Can't we just not enter this stupid competition? It is troublesome, you know. "

Shikamaru adds.

"Well, i don't think we can do that. Our school's reputation has been going down for the past few years. And we need to at least pass the second stage to bring it back. Plus, the rewards for winning this competition is very impressive. "

"What is it?"

Sasuke asks.

"1 million yens. "

Their mouths fly open as they hear the amount.

"And, the school is not going to take even 1 yen from all of you as the only thing that we want is our reputation back. "

Kakashi continues.

All of them fall silent for a while. There are so many things they can do with the money.

"So, are you still opposing the idea of joining the competition? "

Kakashi's question remains unanswered for a while.

Sasuke is the first to break out the silence.

"Well, i don't mind. " he says.
"Me, too... "
"So do i! "
"Well, it is such a pain, but why not? "

Kakashi smiles.

"But, we have another problem. "