It's like Jungkook-level perfection.

Now the easy part, I think as I slip the butterfly cuff around the smooth lobe of my ear. It seems like the accessory was made for me as I cautiously place my tiny feet into silver turquoise flats that I'd wisely chosen for tonight. Heels would kill my feet, and anything other than that would seem inappropriate for the formal occasion.

After I'd dressed up, I brushed just a slight bit of tint on my lips and hurried out the door to meet Jungkook. It'd been so long since I last had a chance to doll myself up, I'd forgotten how it felt like.

When I hurry into the front of the Palace, Jungkook speaks to me without looking up from Shadow, who is dressed up in a nice little suit as well. I'm pleased to see that Jungkook had gone with my decision to wear the attire I chose for him, but also disappointed he didn't even give me a single, fleeting glance.

Am I that uninteresting?

"Wow, noona looks pretty today." Shadow points at me and exclaims, dashing over to me to get a good look at my dress. I'd bet any entire fortune that all he wants to do is just play with the blue jewelry in my hair.

At that, Jungkook looks up. I don't catch his expression because Shadow is flapping his hands to get my attention, but his hand instantly goes to cover his mouth.

Is he pretending not to throw up or something? Do I look that bad?

The cheeriness in my voice goes down an octave as I hand Shadow one of the flowers weaves into my hair. "Here you go. You can keep it if you want—"

"No!" Shadow shouts, whipping his head from side to side. "The flowers make noona pretty. I'm not going to keep the flowers."

He's so cute.

"Thank you, Shadow." For his sake, I force a quick, bright smile and try to lift him up like Jungkook always seems to do so easily. "You're—"

My voice immediately cuts off as his entire weight shifts over to me, shocking me with how much he's grown since the last time. A few months ago, when I'd saved him from death, he'd been like a feather in my arms.

"You're too weak," Jungkook smirks, approaching me and the little boy. At least I'd prevented Shadow from falling as I barely keep myself from pitching over. "Come on."

He bends down and lifts the child without a single strain in his perfect face. Shadow must weigh at least twenty five kilograms, but Jungkook does it with such ease that I marvel at the taller man's strength.

With a little shriek, Shadow bursts into a series of giggles as he impatiently twirls his brother's hair in his tiny cute fingers.

"Let's go already— I wanna eat ice cream!"

I can't choose who's more cuter between the two.

Time Skip

Coming back to the Main Hall isn't exactly unicorns and rainbows for me, so I'd been reluctant to step inside the gigantic building for the second time. But I didn't want Jungkook to know that I was some coward. Even thinking about that made me want to shut myself in a room and never come out again.

"What's the Choosing of the Head?" I ask, intending to break the silence between us. And I'd been curious since I was ever told about it's existence.

"It's when we Choose another Dark to lead a Palace like me, Jimin, and Tae. It only happens once in three years, so worthless people get excited over it too easily. They always think they can get Chosen, but they never do."

While taking in the information, I ask another question. I hope I'm not annoying him too much as I fidget slightly behind my back.

"What Order did you guys get Chosen?"

He gives me a swift glance as he lists out the names, hesitating a moment before he gives me the order.

"I was Chosen first. Then it was V hyung, and then Jimin hyung."

I quickly do the math in my head. So three years ago Jimin was Chosen. Six years ago was Tae. So nine years ago Jungkook was Chosen.

Nine. And the last time I'd checked, Jungkook was nineteen years old. But nineteen subtracted with nine equaled..

No. That possibly can't be true.

"You were Chosen at freaking ten? But that's so young! How did they expect a child to lead an entire Palace?"

Jungkook purses his lips for a second, shutting mine up in an instant. Had I offended him? Oh please, let that not have ruined his mood.

But to my relief, he loosens his tightened mouth and doesn't storm away from me like I was the most revolting creature he'd ever met in his life. Instead, he answers my exclamation, although I probably didn't deserve such kindness.

"Yes. I was ten, and I lusted for blood. There were two Heads before me— men that underestimated a child, and Challenged me when I was Chosen. They didn't think I deserved to be a Head, at such young age. They thought I was naive and inexperienced."

I know what the Challenge is— we had it back at Gens Light. The previous Heads or a very highly ranked Dark had the power to call the Challenge to a new one if they believed that they weren't worth the title and fame. It was basically a death battle where they brutally fought each other until one or the other wasn't breathing any longer.

I'd always been too squeamish and terrified to attend one whenever it took place.

Clasping his hands together, Jungkook continues. "Both of them Challenged me."

"And both of them died for it."