0.9

"hello?" i woke up to my phone ringing. i had been back home for a couple days and it had been too boring and too quiet. the only thing i've done is talk to katie and watch rugby with my brothers.

"luke? it's me," katie said, her voice sounding fragile. i sat up slowly, rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"hey, what's up?" i asked, stretching. i checked my alarm clock and it was already 11am.

"i just didn't have anyone to talk to about everything. everyone gets so mad at me for it and you're the only person that tries to help." i sighed at her comment. i agreed with everyone else, she needed to get over liam for her own sake. but i couldn't make her feel bad, i had to just tell her what she wanted to hear. this was going to end up killing me, but i loved being there for her. i needed to make her laugh again and this was the only way to hear that beautiful noise eventually.

"luke wake up!" my brother jack yelled as he walked into my room. i tried to shush him while trying to respond to katie, but he jumped onto my bed to bug me.

"are you talking to your girlfriend or something? is she cute? don't be embarrassed, lukey," he cooed, laughing at me. i heard katie giggle a little, making me smile.

"i'll let you go eat lucas, thanks for being a good friend. i'll call you tomorrow alright?" she asked, all while jack continued to stare at me.

"yeah no problem. i'll talk to you then. have a good day, katherine." i heard her hang up the phone and i took a deep breath before finally turning to my brother.

"so who's katherine?" he asked as i stood up, making me roll my eyes.

"she's a friend," i mumbled.

"friend with benefits, maybe," he said before running to the kitchen. that's not even the least bit accurate. katie was never going to see me as anything more than a friend, at least not as long as she was thinking about liam constantly. christmas was in four days and then after boxing day we'd moving her back to melbs. spending time with her is going to be so great, i miss seeing her a lot.

"that's not true, jack," i yelled after him as we went into the kitchen. he just laughed as he took his usual seat next to ben. ben just rolled his eyes at our childish brother before filling his plate with eggs.

"luke, are you sure you need to go back right after chirstmas? i haven't seen you for so long," my mum sighed, giving me pleading eyes. she wanted to make me feel guilty and it was working. i'd been so caught up in making sure katie was alright when i visited that i didn't spend nearly as much time here. we always ended up at michael's, never going to anyone else's house. it was because he was worried about her, so i didn't blame him.

as we enjoyed our meal together my phone continued to buzz against the wood. i kept getting side glances from jack, but i just ignored him. i glanced down to see messages from katie.

katherine: a girl from our class posted a picture with him on instagram

katherine: rose is at work and michael left to go on a date with crystal

katherine: he's the one that told me not to go to melbs

luke: it'll get better, katherine

"luke, no phones at the table," my mum scolded, making me roll my eyes. i slid it into my pocket before grabbing more pieces of bacon from the platter. jack and ben bickered about some show i wasn't familiar with while i sat and ate silently. maybe i could be able to get some writing done today, that would be nice. we all finished eating and helped mum with the dishes before i went back to my room and grabbed my notebook, flipping to a blank page.