To See His Face - Chapter 1

**MERLIN'S POV**

"Hey Colin!" It was Sam, my best friend.

I had changed my name to Colin during the 1900's seeing as Merlin and Emrys seemed to be getting outdated fast.

"Hey Sam! Where have you been, Ive been waiting here for ages!" I had been sitting in a cafe for the past half an hour waiting for Sam to arrive.

"Yeah, I know sorry mate... I was down by that lake...oh urm whats it called," he said snapping his fingers as if it would make the answer come to his mind, "anyway, some, i don't know, stoned?, guy has just been found in the lake all confused, he doesn't even know what century it is... I want to know where he gets his cra--"

"Avalon?!?!" I scream jumping to my feet, I disturb the tranquility of the quiet cafe and anxiously await Sam's response.

"What?" he says looking confused, while making sure no one was staring

"THE LAKE SAM!" I say impatiently

"Yeah thats it, well don-"

I didn't even leave enough time to let Sam finish i needed to get to the lake before Arthur had gone. He probably wouldn't even remember me, I know he won't but i had to see him, even if it breaks my heart.

I arrive at the lake just as the crowds are clearing and I can already see Arthur isn't there.

"DAMN IT!"  I scream into the air and angrily kick the ground.

"Angry you missed all the buzz?" a stranger asks me from behind. I couldn't exactly tell him the 'stoned' guy was my...well my... what ever we were, over 40000 years ago, especially seeing as I only look about 28 to the human eye (its a blessing and a curse).

"Yes, what happened to him?" I say eagerly grasping my open opportunity to find Arthur.

"ahh, well, some stoned guy came out from the lake, got checked by an ambulance and then was whizzed off by the police for supposed questioning."

"THANK YOU!" I said as I ran off.

What if it wasn't him and it was just some drunk guy. I had been waiting for this moment for so long this had to be it.

**At the police station**

  "Excuse me?" I asked the secretary, "Is there an Arthur here?" I said leaning forward on the desk, so only he could hear.

"He is just over there," the man said pointing to a buff man, wrapped in a blanket sitting in the waiting room.

Arthur's head shot up and his golden hair caught the light radiating through the window.

"Arthur... urm..." I spoke,moving forward, suddenly sick to my stomach. "I am Mer- well I don't know if you remember-"

"Your still alive?!?" He had recognised me instantly, I felt overjoyed. He was grinning from ear to ear, still wearing his old battered tunic and chain mail from the night he died, the memory knotted my stomach, "how... why... I don't understand" he said touching one hand to my face as he got up from his chair, wiping away the happy tears that lay perched on my rosy cheek.

His hand snatched away instantly and his face blushed as he looked around to see if anyone had seen.

"Arthur," I reached out my hand and grabbed his "what are you doing here?" I entwined my fingers with his, this time he didn't pull away.

"I don't know, what has happened, the kingdom, my castle? No one believes me Merlin, they think I'm crazy." His sky blue eyes were threatening to overflow with tears

"Its okay... a lot has changed, you've been dead for over 40000 years" I say whispering, "but I will explain everything to you later."

**later at Merlin's home**

**ARTHUR'S POV**

Merlin explained everything important that has happened since my death , he also explained why he looked no older than when I saw him last, all that had changed was his hair had grown a little curly and he had a small beard, it was reassuring to have him looking so familiar.

"Would you like a drink?" Merlin asked getting up

"Yes." I look round Merlin's house as he makes his way to the kitchen. It was small but just big enough too fit Merlin and possibly a guest on the couch.

"OH!" he says spinning around to face me, "and Arthur, being gay is legal now." with that he hurried of to the kitchen.

I rose from my seat quickly and followed him in. As I entered the kitchen Merlin was standing at the counter pouring coffee into a mug with 'clotpole, prat, dollop-head' hand painted on, I smiled widely when I saw it.

"Merlin?" I say standing close behind him, the back of his ears are red from his blushing and he slowly puts down his mug.

He turns round quickly, not expecting me to be so close, as he turns around our eyes lock and I focus on the grey-blue colour I was always jealous of, he had eyes you get lost in. He wasn't blinking, instead he was staring right back into mine, blushing. He quickly looks down to his beaten up shoes. I touch one finger to his chin and bring his gaze back to me. I am now blushing myself due to my own thoughts.

I clear my throat, "Merlin, can I--"Almost without any hesitation Merlin slams his lips again mine, i lift him up onto the counter that was just behind him, we deepen the kiss and I am so happy i could cry, I can't contain my smile anymore and it takes over as I push my lips softly against Merlin's. He breaks apart first and rests his forehead against mine gently as we both regain our breath.

"I have been waiting so many life times to do that again." He says almost to himself.

"Can I ask you something?" I say as we take a seat on the couch,

"You just did." he says bluntly keeping his eyes firmly on the TV.

"Merlin!" I say sternly, he turns to me giggling to himself.

"Its been centuries, how do you still remember me?"

"I could ask you the same." he answers yet again bluntly

"But you have witnessed so much and remembered everything just so you could tell me. All I have seen is darkness, nothing, I had nothing to fill in the place of you."

"Honestly." he starts "Its been almost 50000 years, somedays I don't remember Gwen's face, or Gaius' voice but I still remember how the sun caught your hair, how it glowed when it hit it. I don't why Arthur Pendragon but your impossible to erase." He smiles.

**Author notes**

Ok, so this was my first time writing a FanFic and i hope you like it. I will be updating it shortly (I have no life). I started watching Merlin when i was 5 and ever since then, when i finish it I just restart it again. I have only recently started shipping Merthur and I am just getting into FanFic (I LOVE IT!)

Sadly I don't own the characters to the story or the cover photo. See you in the next chapter!