Part 22- Getting along?

Ruby's POV

I was sat on my bed, reading a book, just having some relaxing time to myself.

I was reading my mum's favourite book series; malory towers by Enid Blyton. They were my favourite books too. When I was younger, I felt so special and honoured to share something like that with my mum. We always used to talk about them and tell each other our favourite parts. I really cherished those moments with her, and knowing those moments would never happen again made all of that even harder.

I felt tears drip down my face as I read the words of one of her favourites. The words felt so much more special as my mum was no longer here.

As I was reading, there was a knock on my bedroom door and it opened. I wiped my tears as Joe walked in.

"Everything ok?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Your eyes are wet" he said. "Have you been crying"

"I'm fine" I said, looking down.

Joe sat on the edge of my bed.

"I'm not gonna push for an answer" he said. "I know you need time and I respect that. I just want you to know that when you're ready to talk, i'm always here"

I really wanted someone to talk about my mum with.

Would Joe respect if I just wanted to talk about it a little bit with him?

I was still nowhere near ready to talk about everything with him.

"You can talk as much or as little as you want" he said, as if he was reading my mind.

I looked down.

"Just thinking about my mum" I said, quietly.

"That's understandable" he said. "There's no shame in thinking about her. At times you will"

I saw Joe looking at the book in my hand.

"Malory Towers" he said. "Your mum used to read them when we were kids"

I couldn't help but smile.

"She read them to me when I was little" I smiled. "I still love them"

"She tried to get me to read them" he chuckled. "I tried the first one but I gave up halfway"

"That's my favourite one" I smiled.

"Really?" he asked. "Why?"

"Because Daryl is experiencing Malory Towers for the first time" I explained smiling. "I feel like she really finds out who she is too. She starts off wanting one person to be her best friend but then she figures out that they don't have the same humour and personality to get each other. I felt like Daryl also didn't really feel good enough to be her best friend. She then finds someone who she clicks with and she feels like she's good enough to be that person's friend"

Joe was nodding and listening attentively. It wasn't till then that I realised I was talking to Joe in a nice manner.

Wait.

Was this me and Joe actually getting along?

End of part 22

A/N:

Kinda a filler chapter. Well, until next time!

Rachel x