Chapter 40📱No Doubts

After sending Elijah to Laynie's tent, I sat in mine, crippling my nerves with a glass of scotch with  Archie, Kace, and Tyler. The three were discussing the fact that I was about to gain a 'ball and chain'. It tickled me, listening to Archie try to keep up with Tyler and Kace. He didn't know what married life was like any more than me. Kace and Jax may not have been legally married, but they had lived together for two years. If anyone knew what challenges I had in store, it was him.

Jax's behavior rubbed off on Laynie more and more every day. If I didn't know better, I would have believed they had been friends their entire life. Tyler and Fiona had been married for five years and together for eight, but my brother-in-law had an all-around perfect wife. His marriage was an anomaly.

"So, " Tyler said, slapping my knee. "You ready for this?"

"Yup."

Archie tried hiding a snicker behind his glass. "You say that now."

"No, I am. It won't change. I know we're gonna have our up and downs, but we've already proven, we can beat the odds."

Kace stood up, stretching his arms over his head. "True. The two of you started your relationship with the deck stacked against you."

"Yeah, we did." I fought back a frown, thinking about my uncle.

"Well, brother, the dealer didn't stand a chance with you and Laynie. My relationship was nothing more than my karma waiting to strike." Archie said, standing to his feet to slip his blazer on.

"Was?"

"Yup. Cassie and I called it quits. I couldn't  deal with her whining anymore."

"Well, that's a surprise," I told him.

"What does that woman have to whine about?" Kace asked him.

"Milo, " He chuckled. "She's drowning in her regret."

I scoffed. "You're fucking with me right?"

"Nope. Last night, she got wasted, started spewing bullshit about still being in love with you and asking if I thought you might care about her still. After laughing in her face, I told her I had outgrown her and left."

"Well, fuck!" I leaned forward in my chair, laying my arms over my thighs. The guys all looked at me like I was having a stroke, clearly getting the wrong Idea.

"Don't tell me, you still care about that wench." Tyler groaned.

"Oh, hell no," I told him, looking at my watch." I'm just pissed that I gotta find, yet another, new PA."

Tyler curved his brow. "Why?"

"For a married man, you know nothing." Archie laughed, tugging our brother-in-law into his side. Tyler clearly didn't understand why I had to fire Cassie, so I had to break it down for him.

"I'm not having a woman that openly admitted she 'loves' me working with me. It ain't happening. I'm not gonna put Laynie or myself in that spot. Plus, I only hired her because of mom. I only kept her cause I was too lazy to find another one. Now, look where I'm at."

"Ah, well, that makes sense."

Kace laughed. "Jax has been talking about getting a job, maybe-"

I loved Jax as much as the next guy, but I wasn't sure I could handle him all day. Actually, I knew, I couldn't. I was worried about causing a tense atmosphere, so I nodded my head, turning to the mirror to put on my vest. Where my groom's men were wearing black suits and silver vest, I was wearing a silver tuxedo and a black vest.