Chapter 8📷 The Invite

"Leave it alone. I like it there!" I fussed at my mom. She was driving me insane scrambling my stuff around to her liking. The past month and a half had been a trial of my sanity. My wound was healing nicely. Although, stretching too far and touching it still caused an ache. I kept trying to talk my parents into going home, but they weren't having it. My dad spent most of his time hanging out with Todd while he drove Milo around. I believed it was to escape mine and mother's bickering.

 Milo wasn't hovering around like he did when I was first released. In fact, I was hardly seeing much of him at all. I got a random text here and there to check in but they were short-lived. Nothing had happened between the two of us since our kiss at the hospital. I tried avoiding the subject altogether. I wasn't willing to pull him into my messy life in that way. I'd only end up alone and bitter. Though, I'd be lying if I denied the fact that he had become a solid person in my life.

I also became quite close to the man who came to my aid after I was shot. He took the time to come visit me in the hospital. It didn't take long for us to click. He spent hours by my bedside every day until I was released. Jax was a twenty-six-year-old child. The nurses had to threaten him with banishment to keep him from using the rubber gloves as hats and balloons. 

Through him, I found myself with another new friend. His boyfriend Kace was just as delightful as him. He was more grounded than Jax, total opposites they were. It was nice having people to deter my mom's endless probing about my relationship with Milo. Getting shot was a real pain in the ass, but it took my life in a whole different direction.

"So... Are you sad you won't be working side by side with Milo anymore?"Mother asked, pulling a picture off my wall.

"Not really. I'll see him around, and I told you to leave that alone."I grabbed the metal frame from her hand and put it back in its rightful place. After learning from my father I came to New York to work in photography, Milo set me up in the art department. I was pretty much free to do as I pleased during the day as long as it involved taking photos that could be used for cover designs. I would be able to use my talents to run free with whatever I thought could be paired as an option for the books. It was pretty amazing.

"Still, four years is a long time-"

"Yes, exactly four years as a PA. It's about time I moved up in the world."

"Are you sure you're ready to go back to work?" She had no clue how ready I was to get a break from her. I loved my mother, but lord was she a bull. A few nights before My dad cracked a joke about moving there, and she ran full force ahead at making plans. Thankfully dad put a stop to that. I was beyond excited to finally get my chance at photography. But I would never admit to mom that a small part was going to miss being at Milo's side. My dad and Todd walked in to rescue me from her endless interrogations.

"Miss Laynie, Are you ready to go?" Todd asked, noting my confusion, he continued. "Mr. Stein asked me to bring you in and return you home every day."

"Todd, I can't ask you to do that!" 

"Good thing you didn't... But our boss did, so there's no other choice." There was no point in arguing with him. He was as hardheaded as Milo. Honestly, that's probably where the CEO got it. I excused myself to get dressed. I was too busy chasing mother around to notice the time. I stared at my wardrobe debating what to wear. I flipped through until I found my fitted blush pink quarter sleeve- knee-high dress. Grabbing a pair of black strap heels, I skipped to the bathroom. I was having trouble containing my excitement. It was definitely a strange feeling to be excited about work. After putting my make up on, I slipped on the dress tying it closed on the side. 

"I forgot how low cut it was," I said out loud. In light of our situation, I thought it was best to change into something not so revealing. When I opened the door and stepped out my mother handed me my purse and pushed me out the door. I tried telling her to wait, but she just shut the door in my face locking it. She thought she was smart, but I had my keys. Looking in my purse clicked my tongue. She took them out. What a sneaky woman.