Chapter 27 📱 More Secrets

Laynie spewed clear, hot liquid from her mouth, showering the side of my face with vodka and astounded daggers. I repeated the phrase "You fucking Idiot" in my head the minute my drunken mind processed the sticky situation I was in.

Becca was a secret that I never thought I'd have to reveal so early. I had every intention of telling Laynie before she walked down the aisle. However, I merely wanted to enjoy the fresh bliss we were sharing from our engagement. 

Jax dabbed at my face with a napkin while I scrambled to unearth the most gentle explanation I could. To my great relief, Fiona's anger brought me some time.

"You have some nerve talking to him after what you did!" Fiona looked at me with pity.

"Oh come on, Fi. I think its been long enough that we can all move past my great betrayal." Becca answered, slipping a hand onto my shoulder.

Laynie didn't let the gesture bother her death stare. I was in a different situation than I had been with Cassandra at our luncheon. Laynie was already aware of the fact that I had once been engaged. The fact that I was almost a father should have been something I had mentioned before we got engaged. But I didn't like the feelings that came with the tale, nor did I expect to propose so suddenly. The fact I was seeing Becca again on the same night my scornful sister and her blunt husband were at our side, made this feel like Karma.

Becca glanced between Laynie and I, then quickly withdrew her hand. "Wait, Laynie, you said you were waiting for your sister-in-law," She sighed and showed a faint smile. "Is there any chance you're with Archie?"

I knew Laynie was holding her tongue, trying to keep from making a scene, but I also believed shit was about to hit the fan when she studied at Becca like she was the biggest moron to walk the earth. Things were about to get less fun for me, and Jax giggling in my ear told me he would be no help.

"If I were with Archie, don't you think he would be here?" Laynie asked, crossing her arms. She was still looking at me like she was going to rip my head off my shoulders, causing a serious shiver to run through my body.

"Wishful thinking," Becca replied, coating me with lustful looks. Laynie took a step closer to her and snapped her fingers, averting the attention to herself.

"Now that we've established that Milo is my other half, keep your hands and 'Take me now' looks to yourself."

Fiona stifled her giggles while Jax clapped obnoxiously in Becca's ear. I feared this night was going to last forever when Laynie spoke again. "Since we've made it clear where everyone here stands, Becca please accept my offer and join us."

"Hell No." My sister snapped. Laynie gave her a radiant smile to chill her out.

"We're all adults here. Everyone can enjoy a fun night together."

We found our way to a larger booth. Laynie and I scooted into the middle of the U shaped seat while the other couples took the ends. Fiona refused to scoot over for Becca, so she pulled up a chair. After ordering everyone a drink, I took advantage of the loud conversion to whisper to Laynie.

"I'm sorry. I should have-"

"Not now, Milo. Tonight was meant to be a happy night. I'd prefer to keep this discussion on the back burner for now. I just don't want to think about you and a child right now."

"Then why ask Becca to join us?" I investigated a bit frustrated. I didn't have a right to be but I was remarkably uncomfortable and Fiona's shrewd comments throughout the group discussion were making matters worse.

"Well, I have a few reasons behind it. You want an overall reason or all of them?" She replied smirking at me. Her face showed sweetness, however, her eyes were telling me to keep my mouth shut. Sober me would have listened to the warning those hexing beauties were giving me, but drunk me was too curious.