Chapter 21📱Still a Fool

The gift I got Laynie was meant to bring a smile to her face not cause more damage. I merely intended to show her no matter what happened between us, she meant something to me. Leaving her alone on that roof was more painful than any other time I walked away from her. Todd sensed my mood as soon as my ass touched the seat. Listening to him huff and puff, I become positive he had something to say.

"You've never held back before, old man. Don't start now."

"You want me to be completely honest, sir?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." I sighed. "Let's hear it."

"You're a fool." He told me, peering into the rearview mirror.

"Not you too." I fussed, pulling a hand to my mouth. "I already have my parents and siblings on me about Laynie. Why can't anyone see I'm only trying to spare her?"

"When you finally realize this is nothing but a charade. I hope it's not too late." Todd put his head down in disappointment as he exited the car to let me out.

When finding our table at the country club, I was greeted by more than my parents. My siblings sat at their sides. Even though my heart sped up, I held my stone face. This didn't happen often and I was certain they had something up their sleeve. Before I could verbally greet them, my brother bobbed his head behind me.

"Isn't that Laynie?" Following his words, I nearly gave myself whiplash. His laughter jolted my frustration into overdrive. "That's not funny, Archie!"

"I was merely proving a point to kick off this family discussion." He sneered.

"For heaven's sake! Archibald at least let him get a drink before revealing our plans." Mother griped, smacking a hand to her forehead.

A drink sounded like a damn good idea. They were about to pull an intervention. It wouldn't matter. I didn't need it. Everyone was acting as though I couldn't handle my own life. After I inhaled my drink, I waited for them to begin. I didn't expect my father to be involved, but he was the first to speak.

"I understand all of you kids are confused about my brother's ways... But Milo that is no reason to deny yourself happiness. You can not punish yourself for his actions."

"I'm not punishing myself for his actions alone! You knew the things he was doing and you turned a blind eye. You keeping your mouth shut about his ways lead to her pain!" I took a breather when I noticed a fist forming under the table.

" I did... I can't deny that. Be that as it may, it's still no reason to turn your back on her."

"That's not why I did it! Antonio is your brother. How can I keep her from having to face him again? How can Laynie move forward if her past is hanging around every corner?" Fiona rested a hand on mine before she had a turn.

"Milo, I spent four days with the two of you... That's all it took for me to see it."

"See what?!" I scoffed, looking at my brother point over my shoulder.

"Now that really is Laynie." He said. I picked up a spoon and tossed it at him, hitting him in the chest.

"Do you really think I'd-" I quit speaking when the box holding Laynie's gift disrupted my sight on Archie. Looking up I saw anger staring back at me.

"Take it!" Laynie huffed, pushing it into my hand. "If you're going to insist on giving up everything we had. Then you keep this painful reminder! I don't want it."

"It's yours."I told her, moving my hand away.

"I don't want it! The only thing I want from you is you, Milo. Without you, everything else is too painful. So if you want me to keep this... You'll stop with this ridiculous hero complex and come back to me."