Chapter 9📱Hell of a Lunch

I held my breath in nervous anticipation. Securing my eyes on her undecided face, I fastened my fingers through hers. Her lower lip was paying the price for my request as she grappled to assemble her thoughts. Laynie huffed and tugged away from me to tread the silent elevator.

My stomach bent and boiled with anxiety regarding her scrunch her hair in her fist. She had her back to me when her arms dropped into free fall, meeting the outside of her thighs with a pat.

"Okay..." She said. "But I'm counting on you, Milo Stein" The familiar statement wiped away all my doubts. I rushed to her gently tugging her closer to reacquaint our mouths. I beamed against her quivering lips. I knew that was not an effortless decision, but I needed her to unwind before we met my dysfunctional parents for lunch.

"Hey, Laynie?" she hummed in response not opening her eyes.

"You're just like your mother" I snickered, watching her eyes dart open in shock. She playfully scowled, nudging a finger into my chest.

" Don't you ever say that again!" she grinned working her jittery fingers to fasten the buttons on my shirt. I was completely taken off guard by her unexpected courage. I favored her being the one to lose control for once. The way she seized the lead brought me a feeling I can't begin to describe. The seductive words her tongue sang in my ear transformed me into a rapacious predator.

One that she most certainly fell prey to. Since she was released from the hospital, I had to force myself to give her some space. I ached to spend every waking minute with her, but my desperate need for her started taking its toll. I struggled to be near her... having to fight off the urge to strip her clothes off her. If Caroline and Evan weren't around to keep the monster at bay, there's no telling what I would have done to her.

As we left the elevator, Laynie seized my hand with impressive fervor. I followed her gaze to see her mother and brash friend Jax walking toward us. I was grateful for the help Jax gave Laynie when she was hurt. But I was still adapting to him. It was peculiar to see the broad smile on Laynie's face as she pitched herself into his arms. They spontaneously started babbling like teenage girls. I pushed my abandoned hand into my pocket as her carrot-topped friend amusingly watched me.

"Was that progress I saw?"Caroline inquired, taking a spot beside me beaming ear to ear. I turned a smug smile on her. With a modest tilt of her head, she revealed her appreciation. I glanced at my watch, becoming aware that my mother was likely rebuking Laynie for our absence. I rushed the three of them into the car sticking Jax in the front with Todd.

"Where are we going, beefcakes?" He interrogated, sharing a titter with Laynie. She skimmed her smooth hand over my cheek boosting the glow of embarrassment.

"I'm ashamed to say I'm using the three of you as bodyguards."

"I'll guard your body with my life," Jax sniggered, saluting me.

"Who are we protecting you from?" Caroline asked in bafflement. "All the ladies of the Milo Stein fan club?"

"Worse" Laynie rolled her eyes."His mother" I knew too well, the way my mother made people feel. Carly Stein was a hard, cruel woman to the outside world. She had high expectations for anyone connected to our name.

This would be the first lunch I shared with both of my parents in months. I wasn't so much worried about their squabbling, though. Cassandra was my concern. Shortly after Laynie was shot, I was taking a break to clean myself up before returning to the hospital and my mother brought Cassie by. She demanded I gave my ex the open PA position. I was baffled by her presence. I hadn't seen her since she deserted me a week before our wedding. I found I held no love or resentment towards her. After a few guilt-inducing looks and harsh words, my mother broke me down. Which in turn left me trying to figure out a new place to put Laynie. I wasn't about to let her run off to a different company. I desired her close by.