Chapter 10📷Bottoms Up

I wasn't sure what brought on my sudden boldness with Mrs.Stein. Perhaps it was having Jax at my side? He was the best bad influence I had ever had. Though he was exactly what I needed in my life.

I feared Milo would be unhappy about the things I said to his mother, but he quickly proved my fears false as we exited the country club. He lifted me into his arms spinning our bodies in a full circle before setting me back down.

"That was... Hot!" He laughed quietly in my ear before placing a quick kiss to my lips.

"Really? I was sure you'd be angry." His eyes smiled before his lips, causing a stir in my chest.

"Are you kidding? No one has ever talked to my mother that way. It was refreshing."The laughter that spilled from my mouth only encouraged Jax's. He was still trying to catch his breath as his eyes leaked with tears of joy. I only knew him a short time, but I loved that goofy blue-eyed man-child. I felt as though he had been born at my side. I guess it was because he was with me in such a critical moment. The connection we shared was strong.

"I TOLD you!" He yelled at me before turning to throw his arm around Milo's shoulders."Those heifers ain't got shit on my doll!"

"They most definitely bit off more than they could chew." Milo laughed patting Jax's hand.

My entire life changed in a matter of weeks and for the first time since I was adopted, I found myself trusting other people. Milo had been shining with pride and bliss ever since I agreed to give us a fighting chance. I was completely terrified. I wasn't afraid he would hurt me. I feared my years of hate and hurt would bring me to break him. How could someone who spent twelve years of her life watching two people who "were in love" beat and belittle each other believe a relationship could be anything different? I had mom and dad but they kept their intimate life behind closed doors. Other than reserved kisses and loving looks I didn't see their affection. I knew it was there... But not seeing the true love didn't make it easy to wipe Robbie and Alice's toxic love away.

"Laynie, love, can I speak with you a moment?" My mom summoned me. The look on her face had knots twisting in my stomach.

"Of course you can." I followed her away from the two men reliving my victory.

"I know this lunch was... Rough. But you have to be careful with your drinking. Your father -"

"Evan is my father!" I snapped. I knew she was talking about Robbie but the whiskey lingering in my blood had my filter thinned.

"I KNOW THAT!" she bit back. " But sweetheart, you have to watch your drinking. That was not my girl I saw in there. You would never treat someone that way sober." I understood what she meant, but in my mind, she was comparing me to that waste of space I once called dad and I was nothing like him. That man did more to me than even she knew. I couldn't bring myself to tell them the things he allowed to happen to me. She always assumed they knew it all and It was my fault for not telling them. Nonetheless, her warning me sent me into a fit.

"I am a grown woman, Caroline! I do not need you to warn me of ANYTHING! I'm not a drunkard! I barely drink, and I treated those women with the respect they deserved!"My harsh voice carried through the air causing Milo to join us.

"Laynie-" Milo said in a calming voice that only pissed me off more.

"DON'T. I'm so tired of everyone thinking they know what's best for me. I am not that damn pitiful child anymore! I don't need you or her constantly on my ass!"Leaving the two of them staring at each other, I took off back inside the country club with Jax following quickly behind. Once I sat at the bar, I ordered anther whiskey. I instantly hated myself. I knew she meant no harm. It was common knowledge offsprings of alcoholics were at high risk to suffer the same fate. But there was no changing my mind at that point. Jax's sat beside me and ordered himself a drink.