Chapter 16📷Snapping Point

Leaving Milo and his uncle, I found myself kicking snow around with my grey, suede, knee-high boots. Something about Antonio's voice sprung me into a slideshow of vile memories. I was seventy percent positive he was the same man from those awful experiences. However, it didn't seem possible. What were the odds one of the men Robbie rounded up was Milo's uncle? Also, being the only return customer Robbie had?

Could my fate truly be that cruel? I needed to know for sure if my sudden fear was true. To make matters worse, there was only one person I could turn to for that answer. Actually two, but I couldn't very well go accusing Milo's uncle of such an atrocious act. If I was wrong, I could lose the only man I ever wanted.

"What's going on?" Jax asked, cautiously approaching me. 

Spontaneously, I broke into a hysterical fit. The reality of my grim situation set ablaze my emotions like a wildfire. Jax held his arms out before he pulled me into a bear hug. His scrawny arms instantly brought me comfort, making me shrivel in defeat. We still had five days until Christmas and this dilemma was about to break me away from the people I was trying so hard to welcome into my life. Behind a short cry, I composed myself to explain my theory to my friend. The sensations playing on his face were like looking in the mirror.

"So what are your options?" He asked. I bit the inside of my cheek until my teeth drew blood, finding it rather hard to spit out my plan.

"I'm going to ask my father."

"I thought Evan didn't know anything about this?" It only took Jax another second to understand what I meant. "Oh hell no! I'll go have a talk with Uncle Tony myself!" He turned on his toes and stormed to the front door.

"No, Jax! You can't! " I cried, wrapping my hands around his arms, digging my heels into the snow. I was desperately trying to keep him from exposing more of my dreadful past. Thankfully, my hysteria got through to him. "I don't like this, Laynie! How are you going to spend five more days in this house with a man who possibly raped you?"

"I'll call Robbie in the morning. I got a letter a few years ago from his lawyer. It said he wanted to see me. It also informed me that I was put on his call list." Jax cocked his head to the side, showing me his disapproval. "I need to make sure! I'm probably wrong, but I need to know if Robbie can remember a single thing." I shivered in place for multiple reasons. The thought of going back in and facing that man, made my blood run cold. The more I wrestled with it, the more I was certain it was Antonio who haunted my dreams. 

The next morning, I hurried to get dressed, putting on an LSU hoodie, a thick pair of black leggings, and a pair of neon green tennis shoes

The next morning, I hurried to get dressed, putting on an LSU hoodie, a thick pair of black leggings, and a pair of neon green tennis shoes. Topping my look off with a messy bun and some yellow leg warmers, I took a moment to pray no one was awake. As expected, I was not that lucky. Following some laughter into the kitchen, I discovered my mother and Carly, enjoying each other's company.

"Hi, sweet girl. You feeling better?" My mom questioned.

"Somewhat. I'm gonna go run. Hopefully, the fresh air will clear up anything lingering behind." I forced a smile before trying to rush out. I wasn't quick enough.