Chapter 2 📷 Home is Where to Hide

Damn it, I genuinely knew I should have skipped that office party. I was convinced I didn't have a job, not that I could condemn Milo if I didn't. Not only did I sneak out of his office after recklessly spending a surreal night with him, but he was also left to deal with the cleaning crew, which was my job. Plus, I'd blatantly ignored his relentless phone calls the rest of the weekend. How did I end up in that complex situation? How was I going to pay my bills? If he was firing me, I'd probably be at Stein Corp long enough to gather my things. Then, I'd never have to think of it again.

To my dismay, not thinking about it was easier said than done. All-day, I could do nothing, but think about his firm hands caressing my neglected body. His nimble tongue carefully sketching the length of my neck. My wildest fantasy couldn't compare to that glorious experience with Milo. I couldn't help but wonder what was going through his head when he kissed me. Why me? Why after four years of half-glances, long hours, and no small talk, did he finally decided to ask about my life?

Mr.Stein might have believed that I was being stingy with my information, but I simply didn't have anything to give him. Since moving to New York City, my life consisted of waiting on him and his clientele, nightly talks with my mom, and sleeping. I was never one to require human companionship. In fact, my past made me want to forget that there were other people in the world. It was nothing against him personally. There just wasn't a necessity to give him anything because he was nothing more than the man I fetched coffee for.

My phone loudly buzzed on the countertop, starling me out of deliberating his aim. I nervously pinched off my breath as my heart hammered in my chest. Looking ruefully at the contact flashing on my phone, I saw it was only my mom and allowed a gust of restrained air to flee my lungs. I'm ashamed to admit that I was dodging her as much as my boss.

My darling mother was a human lie detector. I would have been lucky to get four words out before she caught onto my worry. There was not a chance in hell that I was ruffling that tiger cage. After sending mom a text, I arranged my hair into a messy bun and got busy carrying out the one thing I could do to steady my nerves. Clean, clean and more cleaning.

I eagerly started in my tiny bathroom. It had been such a long time since I deep cleaned, I found there to be more hair behind the filthy toilet than on my head. The ring of soap scum around the creme bathtub provided an excellent outlet for my frustration. I even used a toothbrush to force the dirt off the concrete trails between the light blue tiles of the floor.

After a continuous day of bleach, trash, and laundry, I was exhausted. Promptly following a nice long shower, I climbed into my pillow-topped bed and instantly went back to thinking about the nerve-wracking day ahead of me.

How was I going to make it through an entire ten hours with him? I could barely whisper his name without turning red. I shouldn't have been worried. Surely, I wasn't the only one to play with him after official hours, right?

 Surely, I wasn't the only one to play with him after official hours, right?