Chapter 7 📷 A Step Forward

In an attempt to open my eyes, I released a raspy groan at their resistance. My throat was dry and felt like someone squirted jalapeño juice down it. My entire body fought against me as I lifted my heavy hand to dried eyes. I rubbed, hoping to coax some moisture out of them. While waiting for the distorted images to become clear, I heard a familiar voice softly whispering my name. I thought I must have been dreaming.

"Mom?" I questioned slowly, turning my foggy head to her. "Why are you here?"

She quietly giggled in response. "Where else would I be? Did you really expect me to sit back in Slidell while you lay here, trying to beat a bullet?"

I peered at her with confusion.  A bullet? I wasn't sure exactly what she meant until I tried sitting up and felt a sharp pain twisting around my belly into my back. I hissed in response, looking down at my abdomen. Noting the hospital gown, it all came flooding back. The burst of loud sounds, the screams, and hysteria. I cringed at the memory of myself laid across the sidewalk working to keep myself awake.

"How long have I been out? If you're here it's been at least seven hours, right?"

"Try three days. Although, Milo did say you woke up pretty agitated before we arrived. I'm not surprised you don't remember. They had to use some heavy-duty stuff to knock you down a step."

 I jerked my head up from the pillow at the sound of his name. How would he know that? Why was my mother talking about him like she knew him?

"Milo Stein?" I stupidly asked. It was unnecessary, it was him, but I was having trouble connecting the dots.

"How many Milos' do you know, Dear? Of course, it's Mr. Stein. He has been a rock for us the past few days. He called shortly after we were called with the news trying to find out more about your condition. After learning we couldn't immediately get up here to help you, he sent his private jet to bring us here. He's kept us fed and sat by your side while we went to his house for showers and rest. The hospital said you didn't have keys with you, so we couldn't go to your place. I truly believe your father might leave me for him."

My head ached, trying to understand how he even knew to contact them. How did he know I had been hurt? Why was he so quick to do all of that for them? This was beyond being a good guy. Perhaps he was trying to persuade me back to work for him? No, he probably already hired someone three days would send him spiraling into Pandora's Box without an assistant. It was all very confusing to me. My mind was not processing things the way it should. The pain medication had my sharp wit filed down to nothing.

"How'd he know I was here?"

"His driver was called a few hours after you were shot. They found his contact information in your pocket. He informed Milo after he had come to see you. Laynie Abigail... Why on earth would you leave your house without a phone or wallet? You know how I feel about you walking the streets with no way to call for help if needed. Look what happened."

"I forgot my stuff at Olive Garden when... I left."I didn't want to tell her when I viciously attacked their "rock".

"Well, that explains that. Todd was wracked with guilt, trying to understand why you went back there. The poor guy has been beating himself up left and right."

"I'll send the old man to fetch them." Milo interrupted as he walked into my room with two cups of coffee in his hands. I turned my eyes on him. He looked like he was waiting to be scolded, slipping a cup into mother's hand. He was probably afraid I was going to give him an earful, but really I just wanted to give him a hug. He brought my parents to me. It didn't matter to me why he did it when I saw him. I was just grateful. I refrained from pulling him to me and quickly broke the meaningful stare we shared realizing my father wasn't there.