Chapter 17📱 What's Best

I believed Laynie had snapped from all the secrets she was carrying. Until I glanced around the room, finding horror met me on everyone's face except my father's. His expression was filled with shame. He knew what was happening. Jax knew. I was sure Antonio knew. But I didn't and I needed some damn answers.

"Laynie!" Her mother cried, putting a hand on her face. "Ssshh," Caroline repeated the sound over and over until Laynie stopped fighting me.

Laynie used her arms to separate my locked hands. When she swung around, her face was a puzzle of emotions. Balling her fist, she took in the features staring back at her. Instantly running up the stairs with her parents chasing behind. I couldn't follow. She wasn't giving me clues, but I was well aware my father could. I watched dad rush to Archie and Tony.

"I warned you! I told you-your evil ways would catch up to you! Your disgraceful life has now come back, not only hurting you. Hurting that precious girl. Hurting my son!" My father yelled until he was blue in the face.

"I did as I was told! I kept it out of New York! How was I supposed to know that she would end up with my nephew?"

The people around me were warping into fuzzy lines as I tried making sense of everything that happened. I plopped down onto the square coffee table, putting my head in my hands. When I looked down at the floor, I saw a small picture under my shoe. I pulled it to my face and it suddenly felt as though someone had punched me in the gut. 

I had seen this girl before. When I was younger. Uncle Antonio had pictures of her in a folder hidden in his office. During a visit to his home, I had grown bored and decided to snoop around, hoping to find anything to entertain my mind. I didn't get past the first one because Antonio snatched it away, but I remember thinking it was strange that he had a young girl's photo.

After I flipped over the picture in my hand, I read, Laynie age 10. It must have been a photo from Laynie's grandparents. I remember Evan saying she was thirteen when he and Caroline took her in. I still didn't understand their connection. Perhaps I just didn't want to see it. It didn't matter either way because it all became clear when Laynie's mother flew down the stairs.

"You sick man!" She yelled, hitting Tony in his chest, shoving him back.

"What the fuck is going on?" Archie asked the question I was too stunned to ask. 

"He raped my daughter!"

It was just as I feared. Jumping to my feet, I charged toward my uncle, ready to end his life. Everything I saw was filtered in red. My heart was breaking and raging at the same time. My uncle was her deepest scar. I put Laynie face to face with a man who hurt her. God only knew how many times. Jax's words echoed through my mind. An unbelievable twist of fate. That was beyond an understatement. My father pushed against my shoulders to keep me back. Unfortunately for him, My strength was twice as great with the desire to bring Tony pain. My determination was off the charts, forcing my brother to lay me out.

"Get out, Antonio!" My mother screamed, pushing him towards the door.

Still clinging to the photo in my hands, I pulled them to my face. This guilt was a discomfort I had never felt before. My tears were for myself and her. I couldn't believe it. Was this the reason I was drawn to her? When I finally opened my eyes to Laynie at that office party, did my subconscious know she was the same girl from that photo? How could people from two totally different worlds end up with a connection to the same monster?

When I heard her voice, I rolled onto my side, brushing off my brother's helping hand as I scrambled to my feet. I couldn't look at her face, so I pulled her against me, wrapping my arms around her head. No wonder she couldn't bring herself to finish her stories. I comprehended how I didn't make a connection with my uncle. But how did I not figure out she had been sexually abused. Everything was starting to make sense. Her subtle recoiling every time I touched her. The lack of interest in romance.

"I'm sorry, I put you through that," I told her, feeling her trying to look at me. My aching heart was about to drive me to do something I knew I'd regret. At that time, I didn't see any other way to free her from my uncle.

"Laynie, you have to go." My hysterical, forced words caused a gasp to leave everyone's mouth. Now that Laynie knew her abuser was a Stein, she would never be able to look at me the same way. She would never be happy as a part of my family. How could she ever move past her pain with us staring back at her?

"I won't!" She cried, shaking her head against my chest, drilling her fingers into my side. "Please don't do this, Milo." I gently untangled her from my body. Putting my hands on each side of her head, lacing my hands in her beautiful black hair, I leaned over her giving her one last kiss.

"Listen to me!" I demanded, forcing her to keep her eyes on mine. "I want you to pay attention to my words. Do you understand?" Through her tears, all she could manage to do was mouth yes.

"You're not unlovable. You're not broken! Nothing that happened to you has to do with you! Your father- my uncle they're the ones with something decrepit. You're kind and loving. Your laughter can bring joy to any person filled with sorrow. Your smile can light up any darkness. You, Laynie Abigail Carter, are perfect in every way. Do not let what my uncle did to you; What I'm doing to you, keep you from living your life!" I had to avert my gaze away as her weeping became louder. Her entire petite body was shaking under my touch.

"Son, don't make any rash decisions. Just take-" My father 's words had me questioning my choice. Yet, the pain I saw coming from her parents simply fueled my decision. Staring into her pleading centers once more, I knew I had to hurry before I changed my mind.

"I love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone, Laynie. But I refuse to let your life be run by Steins as mine has. Go home and live your life without us. Without me. You've faced your pain and no one can take that away from you!" Leaving her with those words, I turned away and hurried into the snowy weather, instantly realizing I left my keys inside. I couldn't go back in there and see the misery I brought her, so I started walking. It wasn't long before a familiar silver car pulled up beside me.

"Get in," Archie demanded.

"I think I'd rather freeze to death."

"Alexander, get in the fucking car." 

Understanding my big brother meant business, I slid into his car. "Take me to a bar."

"Exactly what I had in mind."

When we arrived at the bar we sat in silence. Archie respectfully let me drown my sorrows before he started talking. Looking him over, I decided I had no more anger for him. He did me a favor by sleeping with Cassie. It wasn't until that moment did I realize I was never in love with her. I loved her, but it was more of a settling kind of love. The love I have for Laynie hit me hard and fast. Even though it was frustrating and painful, it was also passionate and exhilarating in all the right ways.

"Milo, are you sure you want to let her go?"

"No, I don't want to let her go... But it's not about me."

"Well, apparently it's not about her either." I raised an eyebrow at my brother, confused by his words. Of course, it was about her.

"What the fuck is that suppose to mean?"

"You didn't even bother to ask Laynie what she wanted."

"I didn't need to. It's not about what she wants, Archie. It's about what she needs. What she requires is to be rid of anything related to us. It will bring her less pain."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense...Losing her dream job won't be nearly as painful as losing the man she loves moments after facing her demons. Yeah, that sounds less unpleasant." I understood what he was saying. Still, It didn't change anything. I fully believed she was better off without me.