Chapter 33 📷 Mixed Emotions

Start from the beginning

"Come on, we both know when you're here you can't sleep unless you're touching me." I lifted my leg over one of his, smiling like the smart ass I was being.

"So are you mad at me because of Elijah? Or the way I reacted to the tabloids?"

"I'm not mad about anything, love! I just want to sleep!"

"Laynie, talk to me." He turned me in his arms and kissed me. I gave into his touch, placing my forehead to his, then groaned.

"You really want to know what's wrong with me?"

He shifted back to get a better view of my face. Playing on his emotions, I pouted my lips. "I...am...so...fucking...hungry! I strongly considered eating the carrot cake candle that Jax bought you!"

His furrowed brows and concern morphed into dimples and fondness. He jumped out of the bed and slid on his pants, then left the room without a word, shutting the door behind him. I heard the front door shut and laughed. I wasn't sure where he was going, but I was positive it was to get food. Knowing there was no way I was going to sleep until I had a full belly, I started towards the living room. However, I stopped and flipped the light on in Elijah's room. Once I examined it thoroughly, I realized it was a masterpiece. It was like something out of a home decor magazine, but more personal.

Aside from the photo of him and his son sitting by the bed, he had a cluster of small photos hanging on a thin strip of wall between to the window and closet. One of him and his siblings, one with his parents and one of us. He told Carly she would never know his children, but the big softy obviously intended for his son to know her. There was an old worn out teddy bear sitting on the dresser. I recognized it from photos Fiona had shown me. I played with its ears for a moment and giggled to myself. Something about that ugly patchwork bear made all my fears about our baby vanish. Neither Milo or myself had any clue how to raise a child, but he really put his all into giving his son a room worthy of him.

My heart jumped into my throat when someone wrapped their arms around my waist. If not for the smell of onion rings, I would have knocked the hell out of the person behind me. I hummed in excitement and turned towards Milo. He grabbed my hand and led me into the living room where I found two opened styrofoam boxes sitting next to two small cups. The burgers were huge and the onion rings were perfectly golden. When we sat down it only took a second for me to tear my burger apart. Milo laughed, staring at me. I had no shame, feeling the mayo and ketchup on my cheek.

"Daaamn, when's the last time you ate?!" He asked, wiping the mess off my face with his thumb.

"Around seven before I left for Brooklyn." He shook his head, clicking his tongue. He turned on the tv and flipped through the usual gossip channels. To my horror, my meltdown was already airing on repeat. It was strange watching myself have a panic attack. The look in my eyes made me feel like that hopeless little girl I hated. When he turned off the tv, I instantly turned it back on.

"You don't have to watch that shit."

"If we're getting married, I have to get used to this." He nodded his head and moved to sit behind me, stretching his legs with me in the middle. I leaned back into his chest.

"You haven't been this big on the news since you took that big client's daughter out."

"Yeah, I didn't think I'd ever live that one down."

"Well, you shouldn't have been rubbing her tits!"

"I was not rubbing her tits! I flung honey mustard onto her shirt and freaked out."

"Mmhm," I looked up at him and his smile disappeared, making me sit up and face him. I muted the tv. "What's on your mind?"

"A few things." He tossed his arm over the back of the couch, rubbing the stubble on his chin with the other hand. That was a sign he was ready for business. "First, I just want to know how you're feeling about Elijah."