thirty nine : do we ? was i ?

But then you called, showed your hand
I turned around before I hit the tunnelSat on the roof, you and II hope I never lose you, hope it never ends

- Taylor Swift, Cornelia Street

SUMMERS

I sat cross-legged on the bed, wearing nothing but the bathrobe while Frazier was sitting on the chair, playing with his phone and making himself home. Feeling aware that this bathrobe was the only piece of clothing I had on, I wrapped my arms around myself tightly as I leaned back on the head of the bed after making sure that I did not show any skin apart from my hands and legs.

Frazier had turned up the air conditioner, making the room not as cold but not hot either, yet I could feel my body sweating. "When did they say they will send our clothes again?" I grew impatient.

"They didn't say," answered him without taking his eyes off his phone. "Soon, I assume. Why?" His brows knitted and he looked up very briefly. His eyes barely met mine. "Are you feeling cold?"

"No." I shook my head although I knew he couldn't see it since his eyes were already back on his phone. "Just wondering."

"Oh."

About five minutes later, I could not bear it anymore. The silence was too much that it started to suffocate me. "Fray."

Again, he did not even look at me when he responded. "Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." His eyes were glued to his phone. It made me curious about what was there.

I straightened on my back and crossed my arms securely in front of my chest. "Are we okay?"

He was quiet for a few moments before finally giving me a halfhearted answer. "Yep."

"Then why didn't you even look at me when you said that?!" I moved to the middle of the bed, closer to his chair which was right in the corner in front of a wooden writing table. "You're acting really strange. What's wrong?"

This time, he did look at me. His brows knitted together, making them look like a straight line, as he answered, "Nothing."

"You're a bad liar." I rolled my eyes, shaking my head in disbelief. "So why don't you just tell me what's wrong."

"There's nothing wrong."

Call me stubborn but I did not buy it so I moved from the bed and walked toward him. I could hear him groan and wondered what was going on. "You have two choices. Tell me what's wrong or I'll never speak to you for the rest of this trip."