thirteen : selective memory

Tempted, you know
Apologies are never gonna fix this
I'm empty, I know
Promises are broken like the stitches
— Harry Styles, Woman

Tempted, you knowApologies are never gonna fix thisI'm empty, I knowPromises are broken like the stitches— Harry Styles, Woman

T Y L E R

I was half sober when I realized what had just happened and how we had fallen apart.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

If I could kick myself, I would. Why had I said all of those horrible things to her? I was drunk and in a bad mood, yet still, that didn't justify my action. What I'd said was unforgivable.

As I paced around and about, trying to clear my head while waiting for her to come home, I subsequently checked my phone. I recalled seeing her grab her phone and wallet before leaving. Although it was unlikely she would send me a text, let alone call me, I kept my phone on hand just in case.

I walked into the kitchen and started making coffee. Strong and black. I really needed the caffeine slap if I wanted to stay awake. My phone buzzed and I immediately put everything down on the counter. False hope. It wasn't from Autumn, just another text from Mario, reminding me to keep my phone with me all the time in case they needed me for last-second errands.

I shoved the phone back into my pocket but changed my mind halfway and put it on the counter next to my mug instead. I filled half the mug and raised it to my lips. I took a sip and let the bitterness roll on my tongue before swallowing it.

With one hand holding the mug while the other holding my cell phone, I moved to the couch and sat.

I started to worry when the sun came up and she hasn't come home. I wanted to ask her brother Steven to call her but I knew she wouldn't like that. It was around six in the morning when she finally walked through the front door.

She hung her coat on the coat stand by the shoe cabinet. "Autumn." I put my mug on the table and moved towards her. She didn't spare me a glance as she walked across the room to the bedroom door. I followed closely behind her. "Autumn, we need to talk."

There was zero response. She acted like she didn't hear a thing as she continued to open the drawer and pick up her clothes. She was heading to the bathroom but I caught her arm as she walked past me. "Autumn." She shot me a murdering glance. "I can explain."

"No." She ripped her arm out of my grasp. "You don't get to talk. You've done enough talking." She walked away and I heard the bathroom door slam.

This wasn't our first fight and this wouldn't be our last either. She would cool off, I just needed to give her some time. Maybe in a day or two, she would come around.