twenty nine : nerves

Baby, I think of you
When I'm all alone and it's half past two
Bet you think about it too
Ain't nobody love you like I do
- David Guetta, Like I Do

Baby, I think of you When I'm all alone and it's half past twoBet you think about it tooAin't nobody love you like I do- David Guetta, Like I Do

FRAZIER

I remembered the last time I was nervous because of a girl, I'd been fourteen and she'd been seventeen. I hadn't been born with confident bones in my body, just like everyone else, I got nervous around my crush. She'd been the most beautiful girl I'd ever laid my eyes on and the way she'd carried herself had struck a Cupid arrow straight to my heart.

One day, at a senior party, she'd kissed me. It was my first kiss and she was my crush for a year. An hour later, I'd found her on the couch, on top of one of the senior guys, making out as if nobody was watching. I'd gone home with a broken heart, knowing that the kiss (although had meant so much to me) had meant nothing to her.

Since that day, I'd never felt nervous around girls. I'd built my confidence and frozen my heart. I'd vowed to never be troubled with something as silly as love.

I cleared my throat and shoved the memory to the back of my head as I stared at the closed door in front of me. For someone who hated surprise drop-ins, I'd done it once this morning and was about to do it again right now. I raised my hand and rang the doorbell.

Unlike this morning, I could hear the faint sound of her footsteps approaching and my heart beat faster. Damn it. Of all females in a big city like New York, why did I have to feel nervous around the only female I could never have?

Autumn had made it clear a couple of times that she wanted nothing more than friendship. The right thing to do was to respect her request and moved on but some things are easier said than done. In fact, since that night she'd slept beside me, I hadn't been with anyone. Not even a quickie inside the janitor closet or make-out session in a party. Hell, I hadn't been in a party since last weekend. Maybe I should find a girl, some random girl who wanted to have fun. Maybe that way, I would finally be able to move on.

"Frazier?" I heard her calling my name from where she was standing behind the door. The lock turned in a low thud and the door swung open. "What are you doing here?"

The corner of my lips pulled into a slow lazy smile. "Testing if your doorbell is working." I borrowed her sentence from our conversation this morning.

She seemed to notice that as she rolled her eyes and started to walk away from the door. I took the invitation and stepped into her apartment, paused for a brief second only to close the door behind me.

"Seriously, why are you here?" Her brow arched.

I shrugged one shoulder and gave her a lopsided smile. "Wanna go for a picnic?"

"Now is not a good-" Autumn didn't finish her question and I suddenly realized that we weren't alone.

A blonde girl with wide mouth sat on one of the bar stools, she looked at me curiously. "So you're Frazier Ronan."