forty five : twins

You know I want you
It's not a secret I try to hide
I know you want me
So don't keep saying our hands are tied
You claim it's not in the cards
But fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me
But you're here in my heart
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

— Zac Efron, Zendaya, Rewrite The Stars

FRAZIER

I woke up late the next day and cursed myself. I spent the next half an hour hurriedly taking a shower and putting on the suits. Knowing how I sucked at doing a tie, I simply clung it on my neck and focused on socks and shoes.

The hotel receptionist recognized me and quickly called the car. I would've driven the car myself if it had not been for the fact that I was clueless about the road in D.C. and it would take me more time to check the map and drive.

"Where to, Mr. Ronan?"

I read the address on Autumn's wedding invitation that I had captured on my phone to him and told him to press the pedal. Leaning back against the seat, I went through all the messages and missed calls left by my cousin dearest, William. I was too lazy to type so I hit the call button and waited until he picked it up.

"Fray!" William greeted me. "Are you okay?"

I frowned. "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, you didn't come to the party last night and went MIA."

Honestly, I did not expect him to notice my absence. "I didn't think you would notice," I chuckled. "I mean, surely there are tons of girls occupying your night."

This time, it was his turn to laugh. "You're not wrong but I think I was being an idiot last night."

Staring outside the window, I narrowed my eyes as I watched the busy D.C. street. It was not as hectic as New York but it was definitely not quiet. Every time the car moved past a building or cafe, my mind would tell me this was where she grew up. It was nearly impossible not to think of her every second of the day. I shook those thoughts away and paid more attention to my conversation with William. "How's so?"

"Don't tell anyone," said William, sounding nervous, unlike his usual self. I could also detect guilt in his voice, "Especially the boys."

Like that even a question. I rolled my eyes. "You know I don't talk to your friends that much. What's going on?"

He was quiet for several seconds, I almost thought that the call was dropped and had to check the screen. "I kissed Niel's sister."

My brain tried to figure out which one was that. "Nathaniel's? Which one was his sister? The blonde girl?"

"No," answered William, still sounding miserable. "The brunette."

"Oh" was all that I managed to say since I had no clue which one was that. If Margo and I were not on and off, I would've forgotten her name. I was not good at remembering names, especially girls. Yet I remembered her name and face since I had met her. Damn. I forced my mind to think of William and his dilemma. "Does he know?"

"No." William groaned. "And it's killing me cos he's my buddy. Darn it. Why did I kiss her?!"

"Well, do you like her?" I asked the most important question. Kisses happened from time to time but what mattered most was whether you liked the person and wanted to pursue them or not.

"Yes," he replied then quickly rectified it, "I mean no. She's a kid. I'm not into younger girls and you know it."

I was going to say that he was also a kid and the fact that he was into older girls worried me but I kept my lips tightly shut.