Chapter 15: The Visitors

Wind-in-Hair followed Rising Bear to the waters edge hold a long stick. With hands still tied he knelt by the edge to fill the water skins the women dropped beside him. He glared over his shoulder at the elderly woman, who in turn walloped him with the stick across his back.

"Fill. Quickly." She instructed bringing the stick down over his back once more.

He growled and filled the skins handing them up to the waiting women. They would glare and snatch the skin away. He was surprised they didn't make him carry all the water back to each lodge. He looked over his should at the woman in charge of him, her cold eyes narrowed. He lifted the now full skin in his hand, doing women's work is almost worse than being tortured with fire. He filled the next skin, his thoughts ending with a wish for the fire instead.

Running Wolf stood beside Gray Eagle overlooking the canyon below. One of the tribes from over the mountain slowly traveled the canyon floor.

"They move with lowered heads brother and so close to the cold season. Something must have happened to uproot the village so late." Gray Eagle said with his arms crossed over his chest.

Running Wolf watched two riders break away to turn up the trail leading to Running Wolf's village. "We will soon find out why. Come let us talk with them."

Running Wolf and Gray Eagle walked to the entrance of the village, other warriors gathered with the curious women standing behind them. Singing Fox and Harvest Flower among the women. The two riders came into view and quickly halted in front of Running Wolf.

"I am Chief Strong Moon. I move my people North to join our brothers." The one with chocolate hair said. His hand raised in a peaceful fashion.

Singing Fox's eyes stuck to him. Her heart beating wildly in her chest. She gasped when his eyes connected with hers and held. She smiled and felt her blood heat with his eyes on her, it was more of surprise than anything this feeling to her is a weaker version of when Gray Eagle looked at her.

Running Wolf nodded, "I am Chief Running Wolf. You may camp in the canyon to rest. The long journey you are undertaking is a hard one so close to winter." Running Wolf motioned for the two to dismount and follow him. "Come we will talk."

Strong Moon slid from his horse landing softly on the ground. His warrior following suit. The woman who stared at him caught his eye again. A maiden with such beauty is worthy of a chief. He made a quick decision to take her as his own. He followed Running Wolf to the large council lodge, both Chiefs taking a seat side by side at the back. Gray Eagle sat to the side of Running Wolf while Two Dogs sat to the side of Strong Moon.

Running Wolf waited for the elders to come in a sit along the walls. Blue Wing also came to sit by the door.

Running Wolf turned to Strong Moon, "Why do the Apache move with heads hung low?"

Strong Moon straightened his shoulders, "The white eye soldiers grow at the fort. Many of our people have been killed. Our brothers in the North are calling for war and soon this land will run red with blood." He watched the skin door open, Singing Fox and Harvest Flower tiptoed in to sit close to Blue Wing.

Running Wolf followed his eyes and found Singing Fox blushing beside Harvest Flower.

"You speak of white soldiers at the fort. Do they number so great you cannot defend your lands?" Running Wolf asked.

Strong Moon held out his hands spreading his fingers wide. "They grow in numbers by the day, soon there will be no land they haven't touched." He made two fist and dropped them to his lap.

Running Wolf placed his elbows on his knees and leaned forward. "This is not good news you bring. Soon the tribes of peace will have called for war."

The elders listened with blank faces. Each of them knew the price of war. When one side fights the other must also fight or die. Harvest Flower sent a worried glance at Running Wolf. Would he join the battle or stay peaceful here on the mesa?

Strong Moon suddenly pointed to Singing Fox, "I want her."

Singing Fox ducked her head and shyly inched back. Her back completely against the wall. Gray Eagle, who only listened until now, snapped his head in Strong Moon's direction. Running Wolf also pinning Strong Moon with a heated look of anger. Blue Wing acted quickly pulling Singing Fox and Harvest Flower from the lodge without a word. He pushed them to Running Wolf's lodge waiting for them to enter before he sat in front of the door.

The warriors and elders filed out of the lodge leaving the four original men alone inside.

Running Wolf straightened his shoulders gripping his knees to keep from making a fist. "No." He said pointedly.

Gray Eagle nodded in agreement. He cared for Singing Fox and he would not agree to send her off with a tribe looking for battle. Not when he wanted her.

Strong Moon looked at Running Wolf, "She is taken? I will fight for her." He calmly said standing.

The other stood as well, each watching Running Wolf for his answer. "She is not taken. My sister will remain here."

Strong Moon straightened his stance, "I want her for wife. I will bring many gifts for her." He touched his chest with his fist, quickly leaving the lodge Two Dogs following closely.

Gray Eagle waited for Running Wolf and with no reply he placed a hand on his Chief's shoulder. "Ask her if she wishes to go. I do not agree with the match. If she does not wish it I will fight for her."

Running Wolf looked over his shoulder at Gray Eagle, "You are wise my friend. I will speak to her now."

Running Wolf left the lodge finding Blue Wing on guard at his lodge. He could hear Harvest Flower's voice softly singing from inside.

"Thank you Blue Wing." Running Wolf said dismissing Blue Wing from his task.

Blue Wing nodded and stood to leave, "She finds him attractive." He offered no more before quickly making his way to the canyon entrance to keep watch.

Running Wolf felt his heart ache at the response he might receive. He entered his lodge finding the two women giggling over a cooking pot. His wife would also lose a friend and his heart sank that much more. The last couple months he has grown even more closer to Singing Fox. Childish and smart she did shine in the village. To lose her to a warring tribe is to much to think of. She has turned every man away but Gray Eagle. He feared it was only because Gray Eagle did not give her a chance to turn him away. He has not openly claimed her.