Chapter 27: Birthday

Six Months Later

"Just breath. You can do it." Singing Fox softly encouraged Harvest Flower. Her hand lightly stroking Harvest Flower's back while Wind-In-Hair dipped a piece of cloth into a bowl of warm water.

Harvest Flower took a deep breath the pains of Labor draining every ounce of energy she had. Another contraction wrapped around her body and squeezed her insides. Harvest Flower inhaled and pushed hard. Harvest Flower positioned herself better spreading her knees apart under her. She tried to lay on her back, but she could not breath. Giving birth on her hands and knees was difficult, but gave the baby more room to move. A small kick to her stomach and the contraction eased. They did not stop but intensify as the time went by. What started at midnight now lasted into midday.

"The head! I see the head!" Dancing-with-Stars exclaimed excitedly.

Wind-In-Hair passed her the warm cloth. "Wash her legs and keep her clean."

Wind-In-Hair watched the two young women closely. They are under her instruction because Wind-In-Hair could not move as she once could. Soon one of these two if not both would be the birthing mother's aid for all the women in the village.

Harvest Flower screamed in pain and pushed hard as another contraction tore through her body. This one the most intensive and painful. Best described as burning claws taking her body from shoulders to toes. The sudden pop and gush of the head passing her walls gave her instant relief.

"Good job, now just one more push." Dancing-with-Stars exclaimed gently while Singing Fox held Harvest Flower in her position.

Harvest Flower felt the sweat roll down her face and the tears leak from her eyes. Once again a strong contraction wrapped around her stomach. She sucked in a deep breath and pushed hard gritting her teeth. The shoulders passed and Dancing-with-Stars quickly brought the baby to the blankets beside Wind-In-Hair. Wind-In-Hair quickly held the baby upside down and with a quick slap on it's tiny rear the baby took it's first breath and the world finally heard it's first cry.

All the women in the lodge had tears of joy as the baby cried. The sound of sweet new life filled their ears. Wind-In-Hair quickly started cleaning the baby and tied off the cord. With a quick cut the baby's cord was severed and Harvest Flower felt very proud. Singing Fox started to ease Harvest Flower down when a sudden contraction ripped through her body once more.

They all looked confused. Wind-In-Hair waved her hand. "Quickly she must be passing the after birth."

Dancing-with-Stars knelt and her eyes grew wide. "No it's a head. She will have two."

Harvest Flower screamed and pushed with everything she had left and soon this baby was born. The after birth slid out quickly and with both crying babies cleaned and wrapped the women began cleaning the mother. Singing Fox rushed to the lodge door. Gray Eagle and Blue Wing held Running Wolf back from entering the lodge.

"We need more water." Singing Fox said pointing to the water skins hanging on the pole just outside the door. Gray Eagle quickly gathered the skins and trotted off to the watering pool. Blue Wing and Running Wolf stood waiting with worried and curious expressions.

"Harvest Flower is well. You are now the father of a strong boy and a healthy little girl." Singing Fox said excitedly. "Let us clean them up and you can come see."

Running Wolf let out a breath and stared at his lodge in shock. He finally found his head and gave a loud whoop. His grin stretching from ear to ear. He calmed and let the happiness fill every inch of his heart.

Gray Eagle returned carrying the water skins. His arm now fully working only slightly weaker then his other arm. Soon he would have his full strength back with only the long scar to show. Cloud Runner dashed around the side of lodge stopping just in front of Running Wolf. His small frame beginning to take on muscle from his everyday chores.

"Running Wolf I must tell you." Cloud Runner spoke fast and Running Wolf looked at him curious to hear what the brave was so excited to tell.

Gray Eagle handed the water skins to Singing Fox and she returned to Harvest Flower. All the men's eyes now on Cloud Runner.

Running Wolf nodded giving Cloud Runner the permission to speak.

"There is a bear on the cliff just below the sheep. It stands tall, but makes no move on the sheep." Cloud Runner rushed. "He is far from the place bears play and he will not run away."

Running Wolf looked from Gray Eagle to Blue Wing. All four quickly moved. Grabbing weapons to defend themselves. The bear indeed stood on his hind legs sniffing the air. His eyes searching. Running Wolf stopped and watched the bear. It's eyes landing on him. The bear gave a roar and stretched his claws towards the sky. A small rabbit bounced into the bears path and with a quick jerk the bear came down on all fours. The rabbit sat still and waited. Finally the bear turned and waddled off. The rabbit soon followed.

Gray Eagle touched Running Wolf's shoulder. "It is to close to the village and could come back."

Running Wolf nodded. "Track it. The hide alone will make a fine gift for my wife. She has worked hard and will need the soft pelt soon. I must go talk to the spirits."

Gray Eagle and Blue Wing took of after the bear. A large bear close to the village was not good. Not only would they kill the sheep, but the children who tended the sheep would be in danger too. Running Wolf set Cloud Runner back to watching the herds. The boy was now eleven winters and his mind quick like a man's twice his age. He would indeed be a good warrior.

Running Wolf stopped at the burial grounds entrance, his fists raised to the sky. He tilted his head back and started his prayer. He needed two names for a boy and a girl. He prayed for strong names and for long healthy lives. He let his mind go blank and relaxed his body letting the sun shine draw pictures on his closed eyelids. Birds flew overhead and their calls reached his ears.

Shapes drawn by shadows fluttered into his vision. An image of a wild spotted horse ran through his minds eyes and he silently thanked the spirits and kept his mind open. A Dennis of cats formed in his minds eye and a small kitten pouncing on everything around it become the most intensive. He once again thanked the spirits and finally let his eyes open.

Spotted Pony and Pouncing Cat would be his children's names.