Chapter 3: His Bride

The sun is just touching the horizon, throwing pinks and purples into the dawn light. Birds singing their morning songs, mixed with the sounds of the village coming to life. Harvest Flower sat with her mother. A white beaded doe skin dress laid across her lap, the matching moccasins held in Moon Stream's weathered hands.

Moon Stream looked older to Harvest Flower, her wrinkles looked deeper and her hair more silver. Her salt and pepper hair hung loose around her shoulders. Harvest Flower worried about her adopted parents, they seemed tired more often. She didn't want to leave them. Her heart felt like it was breaking. She could feel the tears picking at the back of her eyes.

Shouts echoed outside as a horse approached. It's hooves dancing on the hard packed earth. Red Feather nodded at Moon Stream before exiting the lodge to greet Running Wolf. The pink lights faded as the bright sun rose over the horizon. The splashes of color around them looked brighter to Red Feather. The trees glowed with a healthy green and flowers of all colors scattered about the edge of the village. Today is a good day to join two people as one.

Red Feather smiled at the sky. The proud young Chief was a good match, mother earth approved. The blessings of a peaceful day proof.

Harvest Flower dressed quickly. The white doe skin dress fit her body perfectly. Her mother braided her hair with skilled fingers. This was the last time her mother would weave her hair. Running Wolf would be her husband soon and she would be leaving with him. More tears burned her eyes without falling.

Moon Stream added small yellow flowers to the braid. "Smile daughter. You are beautiful and you should be happy." She tied a white beaded headband around Harvest Flower's forehead.

"Mother I don't want to leave you. I don't want to marry." Her voice shook with unshed tears. "I do not know him."

Moon Stream patted Harvest Flower's shoulder. "He is young, handsome, and will give you many children. This makes me proud. Do not worry over this old woman. I have had my time. Now it is yours. I did not know your father before we became as one. I felt the same as you, we did not get along the first year."

Harvest Flower wrapped her arms around her mother holding back the tears. The sound of horses outside made her heart beat faster. Soon she would leave with Running Wolf. One night in his lodge would make her his wife. She would not return unless he brought her back to visit. She would try to be a good wife but she would not just lay down and surrender.

"Harvest Flower your father calls. It's time." Moon Stream said with a soft voice breaking her train of thought.

Harvest Flower's honey brown eyes sparkled with unshed tears. "I love you mother. I'll do this, but I am not happy. I don't know if I will ever be."

"As I love you my daughter. Now go, he is waiting. Happiness will come with time." Moon Stream pushed her out the door with shaking hands. To give up the only daughter she was blessed with broke her heart and filled it with joy at the same time.

Red Feather turned to Harvest Flower. His old eyes brightened and glowed with pride. He placed a hand on her shoulder, and her horses reins in her hand. He said nothing and just nodded, once to her and once to Running Wolf. A feast would last into the night in their honor as would the grief of losing her smile.

Running Wolf was stunned. She is beautiful. His expression remained blank and his back straight. The looks of sadness and joy mixed together on the old couple almost made him break and stay for the feast. The look in her eyes and the way she moved kept him firm on his decision.

A dark shadow watched them, and Running Wolf wanted to put distance between the dark shadow and his bride. The quicker the better. He could not show any weakness. Her beauty made his heart swell with pride but he did not wish to fight for the right of her hand. He wanted to get home to his people and show her his world. His hands itched to touch her.

Harvest Flower's horse nudged her shoulder when Running Wolf walked up behind her. His hands grasped her waist and lingered. She jumped at his touch, but he ignored it, and picked her up in one smooth movement. He set her on her horse and let his hand brush her thigh and calf. Her glare cut him, but he kept his face blank. Her skin is smooth and soft, the contact sent little lightning bolts up his arm.

"We go." His voice was harder than he intended, and her glare turned into large doe eyes. The thought of her being afraid of him pulled at his heart. That is not the feeling he wanted her to have for him.

He mounted his horse in one leap. Harvest Flower smiled at her parents one last time before riding away through the village. The people gathered along the edge waving and watching her leave. A few warriors hooted and raised their bows in the air. All but one celebrated their departure. Rising Bear growled to himself the sudden pain in his chest infuriated him.

Running Wolf felt the shadow following them. He kicked his mount up to a canter. Harvest Flower followed his lead with one last glance over her shoulder. Rising Bear didn't come to say goodbye. They were soon away from the village view. The sound of her waterfall passing by made her heart drop. Her special place was no longer hers to run to. She is losing everything she loves.

The sun, now high in the sky, fill the earth with light around them, as the horses walked on. The sound of their hooves on soft soil sounded loud and uncomfortable to them. The awkward silence was making Harvest Flower nervous.

Running Wolf suddenly pulled their horses to a halt. He turned to look at her, his eyes searching hers for something. Some hint of acceptance or a small amount of anything.

His voice softened, "We will rest here."

A small stream trickled just ahead of them. Harvest Flower dismounted and led her horse the cool water. It dropped it's head taking long gulps. Harvest Flower ran her hands through it's mane and down it's shoulder. The horse raised its head and smacked it's lips in response.

"I didn't want to marry you. I was forced into this. Don't expect much from me I am not skilled in wifely duties." Harvest Flower talked more to the horse than to Running Wolf, but her point was clear.

He walked up beside her letting his horse drink from the stream. "I won't hurt you. I don't plan on taking any other wives and this I promise you. All my son's will be of our blood only. You will truly be my wife soon."

His voice was distant and commanding. It made her temper rise, making her face heat and turn pink.

"I will not share your blankets." She hissed at him angrily.

He dropped his reins and grabbed her shoulders spinning her around to face him. The pink in her cheeks darkened, and he pulled her against his chest. Her head snapped back and her eyes met his in a defiant stare. He struggled not to just kiss her. He held her to him with one strong arm. His muscles like iron wouldn't give no matter how hard she pushed at his chest. Her voice saying so much that cut so deep in a tone that added salt to the open wounds played on his temper. He could not hurt her but he would make her see there was no need to dig her claws in so deep.

"I will have sons from you, and only you. You will have everything you wish for. I am not so terrible as to beat you or punish you." His free hand loosened her hair from it's braid. His fingers ran through it's golden red waves. The flowers fell to the ground. He was losing control of his body. The heat she put in his blood grew hotter.

His words took her breath and she felt hot. She struggled and pushed at his chest causing him to hold her tighter. The way he held her gentle but tight surprised her. The heat from his body seeped into hers and the woods around them slowly began to melt away.

His voice became soft and her struggles lessened. "Let me show you how I feel. Let me make you happy. I will be your protector and a husband you will be proud of."

She could feel her body betray her. She was melting in his arms. His smell, the way he was holding her. Her breath caught in her throat when his lips met hers. She meant to push away but instead she felt herself return the kiss. It was soft and her hands relaxed on his chest his buckskin shirt soft on her palms. She tried to fight her reaction to the sweetness of his words and the feeling his lips sent to her chest and stomach. Her head reasoned and her heart sped up making her dizzy.

He deepened the kiss running his tongue over her lips. She gasped and he took his cue, sliding his tongue inside her mouth to stroke her tongue gently. He felt her legs give way as she slowly copied him. He picked her up crushing her to his chest as he walked to a nearby moss covered patch.

He gently lay her down. He pulled back from her breaking the kiss. Her eyes glazed over and a look of confusion crossed her face. He kissed her once more trailing his hand down her side to her hip. She moved rocking her hips. His knee parted her legs, as he pulled her skirt up.

She flinched and jerked her mouth away. "No! Let go." Her voice broke and she scrambled away from him. Her mind finally won and a rush of guilt and shock ran through her.

His eyes flashed with pride. "You want me as bad as I want you. Soon you will not be afraid of me. I will not hurt you. This I promise." Running Wolf stood and held out his hand for her. "We must go."

Harvest Flower stood up and brushed her dress down. She looked at his hand and walked by him trying to ignore him. He was the reason her heart was breaking, why was her body betraying her. Running Wolf followed her closely. She stopped by her horse and turned to look at him. A sharp pain hit her chest and she felt her spirit shift. Would it really be all that bad with this man? A man she didn't know. She shook her head trying to clear her thoughts.

Thundering hooves echoed in the distance. Pulling her attention away from him. Running Wolf grabbed her and set her on her horse. "Ride!" He commanded, and slapped her horses hip sending her into a hard canter across the stream.

His horse caught up quickly and they rode at a fast pace. The trees blurred by and started to thin, as the sandy canyons came into view ahead of them. His village was not far away now, and who ever followed would soon stop or be stopped.

They slowed their pace as they entered the mouth of a small red canyon. He led her through it, almost to the end they turned sharply up a steep trail leading to a grassy mesa at the top. A few small sheep grazed, while a young brave watched over them. Lodges larger than her father's dotted the far side and a small trail led to a clear spring fed pool. Harvest Flower forgot her fight between head and heart and took in everything around her. This is his village, her new home.

The largest lodge sat in the middle of them all, and an old woman stood waiting at the skin covered door. Her broken tooth smile shone bright. Her silver hair braided into a long plat hung almost to her knees from her bent frail shoulders.

Running Wolf nodded to the old lady, and in a calm voice told Harvest Flower. "My grandmother, Sun Dove. She is very anxious to meet you."

Harvest Flower nodded and smiled at the old lady. She didn't have it in her to be cold to the people here. The village was beautiful and large, and her fear hit her once again. She could never be a good wife. These people looked at Running Wolf with admiration and love. She would never be able to claim that as her own. Her heart dropped, as the horses halted in front of his lodge. A young brave waited to take the horses away at Running Wolf's signal. All eyes on Harvest Flower she now felt pressure on her shoulders. She had to stay strong and keep her head high.

The old woman grinned at Harvest Flower. "Welcome home my children. Come in and rest. Tell this old woman of everything that has happened."

Harvest Flower watched her enter the lodge with slow steps. Harvest Flower followed, taking in her new surroundings. The old woman sat beside the fire pit, her sewing material spread out around her in neat piles. Harvest Flower became lost in thought, the shock of everything that has happened hitting her squarely in the chest. She could feel her heart pounding and her hands start to dampen with sweat.

“Would you like to help with my beadwork? I have other things to keep you busy.” Sun Dove said watching Harvest Flower closely. Her old fingers ran over several beaded items, her hand stopped on a beautiful dress with green and red beaded patterns. “This one still needs a little work. You could help finish it.”

Harvest Flower shook her head, not trusting her voice to say no. She would hate to ruin the beautiful work already done. Harvest Flower looked down at her hands, she couldn’t sit still for any of the lessons Moon Stream tried to give, the only thing she could do right is fetch water. Harvest Flower felt useless and unskilled in front of this talented woman.

Harvest Flower sat opposite of Sun Dove. Harvest Flower looked around the lodge one more time and was amazed at the space. She gripped the skirt of her dress and watched Sun Dove pick up a clay jar. The rattle intrigued her, causing her to relax just enough to make Sun Dove smile.