Chapter 26: Homecoming

The Sun was high when Running Wolf’s party entered the village. Greeted by Gray Eagle, Harvest Flower, and the rest of the village, the tired group separated and joined their families. Women laughed and rushed to cook large meals to feed everyone. Harvest Flower threw her arms around Running Wolf and planted her lips on his.
“I’ve missed you husband and I have much to tell you. We had visitors while you were away.” Harvest Flower said in a low tone .
Running Wolf held her close his thumbs rubbing her lower back on circular motions. “I have missed you too wife.” He picked her up wrapping her legs around his waist and carried her to their lodge.
Gray Eagle’s good arm wrapped around Singing Fox holding her to him in a possessive manor. His limp arm tied to his chest to keep it from swinging at his side.
He buried his face in her neck, the warmth of her body mixed with his and nether could move if they tried. Her arms held tight to him wrapped around him with her fingers locked in place.
Gray Eagle lifted his head and their eyes met. His deep voice sent thrills through her. “I’ll never let you out of my sight again.” He didn’t give her a chance to respond and kissed her lips gently at first. She side and leaned into the kiss, he deepened the kiss and all the passion he felt poured into it. His tongue caressed her bottom lip and she gasped. His took his chance and slid his tongue into her mouth and she moaned moving her tongue to match his in a battle of love.
They broke apart panting. Singing Fox smiled at him and they finally walked arm in arm to their lodge.
Blue Wing led Dancing-with-Stars to his lodge. He dismounted turning to her to help her down when Cloud Runner walked up to him. His head held high he gathered the reins to both horses standing in front of the lodge. Blue Wing set Dancing-with-Stars on her feet and started taking her pack off the horse. He shot Cloud Runner a strong pointed look before he raised the flag for Dancing-with-Stars to enter. Blue Wing felt a mix of emotions. Not knowing which one would suffice he kept his feelings in check. He didn’t mean to be aggressive, but the way Cloud Runner handles himself wasn’t what a boy of 10 winters should do. He wasn’t even of age to carry a weapon let alone travel so far. If Black Wind had caught him. Blue Wing shook his head to clear his thoughts.
Dancing-with-Stars touched his shoulder from behind him making him flinch and spin on his heel to face her. She gasp and took a step back. Her fear written all over her face. He took a slow breath and dropped her pack on the dirt floor. He tried to relax his face and let out a grunt when it just increased the distance between them. He waved his hand in the direction of the empty lodge that was now her new home.
His voice low and deep vibrated the quiet air. “Make yourself at home. I will return late.”
With that he left. She stood in the center of his lodge beside his fire pit alone and afraid. Her eyes locked on the door he just left through. She didn’t know what to do or where to start. The fact that she was passed from one men to the next as a bride slowly ate at her. A captive one day an untouched bride the next and not even a month later a widow and a gift to another man who shows no interest. She knew she should count herself lucky, but this man seemed harsh. She let her eyes travel the lodge. Two pelt beds one smaller than the other and a fire pit. A small pile of weapons in one corner and a bag tied shut at the back. It was only a one room lodge fit for one man, but why would there be two pelt beds? She let that question cloud her mind while she began to unpack her bag and make herself as useful as possible.

Cloud Runner led the horses to his father’s corral the two young colts already tied to the center post by one of the other boys. Cloud Runner fumed. He just wanted his father to accept him and notice him. All the other father’s treated their son’s better. Gray Eagle is the only one besides Running Wolf who even spent time with him. Cloud Runner thought about asking Black Wind his grandfather to let him live in his village. He shook his head not until he had a bow and horse of his own. Black Wind was ruthless and war bound. He only wanted to see death.
Lost in thought he never heard Blue Wing walk up behind him. “It is not wise to say dream here.”
Cloud Runner jumped and spun around to look up at his father. He relaxed and put his head down. “I am sorry. I didn’t mean to.”
Blue Wing lifted the gate latch and walked into the corral with Cloud Runner. “The colt with the white face is yours. You will care for him and train him. He is now your responsibility. When he becomes a great horse and can ride like the wind I will consider letting you become a warrior. Running Wolf will agree you are wise for your years and will make a good man.”
Cloud Runner could not hide his smile or excitement. “I will do my best and train him well.”
Blue Wing placed a hand on Cloud Runners shoulder. He felt pride for his son and it was starting to outweigh the pain of his wife’s death. Child birth is a hard thing and his wife didn’t have the strength to survive it. Without another word Blue Wing left Cloud Runner to his horse and made his way to the burial grounds. It was time to make peace with the spirits and ask for guidance.
The girl in his lodge crossed his mind. She was young and very pretty. Her long dark hair braided in two braids looked smooth and soft. She was small like a child and yet he knew she was full grown. He wondered if she would be happy and if she would rather be free. Was she even Apache? Her fear of him made him feel angry at himself. He wouldn’t hurt any woman or child and she didn’t need to fear him.
At the edge of the burial grounds he sat. He let his mind unwrap the events and feelings that cluttered his mind. He tilted his head back and closed his eyes and let it all flow. His feelings surged and everything crashed down on him. He let himself feel it all. Flashes of anger, grief, happiness, and pride. It all flowed and twisted inside him fast at first and then it slowed and he could feel his mind relax and he started to accept it all in his own way. The bright sunlight on his face warmed him and he could now make small pieces for together to make since in his mind.
The crunch of grass behind him brought him from his thoughts and he focused on the sound. The steps were light and hesitant. It was female he could tell. The way the steps landed in the grass behind him. She stopped not to far from him and he could feel her eyes on him. She didn’t want to disturb him, but he could tell she wanted to speak. Instead of speaking she knelt down behind him. She was very quiet and showed much patience.
This was the woman he now must take care of. Would she ask for freedom and help getting back to her people? He waited and said nothing wanting to see what she would do.
Dancing-with-Stars sat on her knees watching the warrior pray to the spirits. She did not wish to bother him so she waited. Her fate would depend on his mood and she would not chance his anger. He was handsome and very skilled. Her eyes lingered on his back following the muscle along his spine to a scar that ran across his back from side to side. He has know pain and she felt her heart break for him. Even mad he gave her the freedom to make his home hers and he never told her she couldn’t walk about the village. She played with the fringe on her skirt. He never really said she had to stay.
She could feel that he was kind, but at the same time he was a man powerful enough to be deadly. Suddenly he opened his eyes and turned to look at her. Her breath caught in her throat and instead of fear a feeling of warmth washed over her. Their eyes met and held her questions now unimportant and replaced by new ones she dared not ask just yet. He stood and held out a hand for her. She blushed slightly and accepted it. He pulled her to her feet and quietly they both started returning to her new home. The use for words not needed as they made their way to his lodge. A meal was waiting on them and she knew this would be the first time they would actually talk to each other. When they entered the lodge Cloud Runner sat on his pelts a bowl in hand. His hunger made Dancing-with-Stars laugh softly and Blue Wing looked at her with a small smile of his own.
They both joined Cloud Runner by taking their own bowls and quietly they ate together.