Chapter 4: A New Home

Sun Dove sat beading a pair of moccasins. Her old fingers nimbly adding more color to the pattern. The old woman was skilled and Harvest Flower wished she could make beading look that easy.

Harvest Flower looked around the large lodge. Unlike her father's this one had two rooms built into the back. Poles with thick hides stretched and tied served as walls. The doorways were open with no flaps. It was a beautifully built lodge with a lot of space.

Herbs hung on the wall upside down above a stack of cooking pots. Water skins hung on a pole by the wall and small stacks of furs used as cushions lay around the small fire pit in the center. The smoke hole in the roof let in small beams of sunlight. Tanned skins hung over a large window on the other side wall. A bow and quiver of arrows set to the side, and a colorful spear and small shield also sat by the bow.

The clay jar full of beads rattled. Sun Dove raised a small blue bead to the light and smiled. Her head bent to the task of adding the beautiful color to her work. The old woman glowed with pride as she searched for another bead. "My grandson brings me pretty things. He spoils this old woman." Her smile pulled Harvest Flower's attention back to the beads in Sun Dove's hand. The colors and sizes are many. So many you could not count. Blue beads sparkled in Sun Dove's lap stitched onto the beautiful moccasins.

Harvest Flower flinched when Running Wolf entered. His eyes landing on her immediately. His face was still blank, but his movements were more relaxed. He walked into the larger room on the left. Sun Dove grinned and started humming. Her bead work claiming her attention and focus.

Harvest Flower played with the soft fringe of her dress. Rolling it between her fingers before dropping it and starting over. Running Wolf came out a few moments later. His buckskin shirt replaced with a red vest, leaving his bronzed chest exposed. He wore a headband of the same red color. His long black hair hung to his shoulders, with one small braid on the side. The braid held a feather that just grazed the skin at his collar bone.

His plain buckskin leggings held small amounts of fringe on the sides. They were tucked into his shin high moccasins. He watched Harvest Flower. Her eyes finally met his and she gasped. Something filled her heart. It burned and sped her heart beat like fear but it was nothing like fear. She folded her hands together and grew tense and rigid.

Sun Dove stood and put her work away. "I will go see Bright Flower." She said over her shoulder before limping outside. Her movements and grin giving off a playful air.

Running Wolf walked over to Harvest Flower and held his hand out to her. "Come."

She watched his hand debating on to take it or not. "I.. No." She shook her head.

Suddenly he picked her up holding her to his chest. Her back lay in his arm, her legs dangled over the other. She looked up at him surprise making her eyes grow wide and her lips parted with a gasp. By instinct her arms wrapped around his neck.

"You will come when I say, wife." He carried her into the room he just left.

She struggled but her movement was limited. His strong arms held her in place and the longer he held her the heavier her body felt.

A bed of furs lay on top of a platform made of flat wooden planks. Small bags of his possessions lay stacked in one corner. The room was lit by sunlight that drifted in through a small square window. He set her on her feet.

"We will share this one. The other room is for Sun Dove." Running Wolf said still holding Harvest Flower's waist.

Her voice sounded calm, but her insides shook with the fast beating of her heart. "I won't share anything with you. I can't."

His hand slid up to her arms that hung loosely around his neck. She tried to pull away, but he held her still. "You will, as my wife should." His fingers moved to her neck and she let her arms fall away from him.

Shivers and heat radiated from her neck down her back. She took a step back and turned away from him. With her back to him maybe She could ignore him. She stood still trying to ignore the feelings his soft touch created. He slowly moved her hair away from her neck. She closed her eyes unable to move.

Running Wolf moved slowly not wanting her to be frightened or feel rushed. If she moved away or told him to stop he would. She made his blood heat, and all he could think of was her. He wanted to kiss her, every inch of her. She smelled like flowers in spring.

He kissed her neck gently. His lips just touching her skin. Her breath caught and she tensed. He waited for her to move away. She didn't and he moved up her neck trailing small kisses until he reached her ear. She let out the breath she was holding and her head tilted giving him better access.

His arm wrapped around her waist and held her to his chest. She started to relax in his arms and he could feel her giving in. Slowly he turned her to face him. Slowly touching her jaw to tilt her face up. Their eyes met with mixed emotions.

He pulled her to him gently. Her face tented with a pink blush inches from his. He softly kissed her and her hands found his smooth muscled chest the vest hid nothing from her palms.

Running Wolf broke the kiss her eyes flickering with confusion. "Tell me you do not want me. That you can not feel heat spreading at my touch." He kissed her forehead.

She couldn't speak. Her throat closed and her heart raced. The smooth skin broken only by two scares intrigued her hands to roam. Could she let go? Should she let go? A war started in her mind and she pulled away from him slightly not able to break contact. Her fears stating to fade with each touch.

Running Wolf ran his hands down her sides stopping at her hips. She looked up at him confusion and hunger mixing together in the depths of her golden eyes. He waited for her to kiss him before moving forward. She would be the one to make the next move. Her eyes traced his lips. The honey brown storms sparkled in her eyes. He pulled her hips tight against his, letting her feel him. Hoping she wouldn't pull away.

Her eye grew wide and filled with mixed emotions of fear, confusion, and curiosity. She bit her lip and once more studied his.

"Do you want me? Can you feel the heat we create?" He asked

Her head nodded in small jerks. Her nervousness showing in each little movement. To her family and people she is his wife. To his people she is his. If she refused he would stop if she didn't her fate would be sealed.

"Kiss me." He whispered in her ear. His breath brushed her neck sending another wave of heat rushing to her belly and lower to pool between her legs.

She pulled away from him tears in her eyes. "I can't. I won't. I do not know you husband or not I can not." Her voice cracked and she melted to the floor. He knelt in front of her and touched her cheek. She flinched and he pulled his hand away.

"Rest and tomorrow we will learn more of each other. I will not rush you." He stood and walked out leaving her alone. She is right they do not know each other and all that has been changed in her life needed time to settle.

He walked to the spring fed pool and watched the stars brighten. Harvest Flower is now his wife. Drums and flutes played in the center of the village. His people already celebrated her arrival. All of them approved of her. He turned and watched his people build up a fire and women passing out food. Dancing and laughter would fill the night and tomorrow they would hold a wedding ceremony. Harvest Flower will be by his side always.

He walked back to his lodge and sat in the large room alone studying the small flames while thinking of ways to make Harvest Flower happy. He wanted to take all fear and pain away from her. She lived in his mind and heart and even though he knows she is strong he can't help but see her as his to protect.

The flames started to die down when he heard a whimper come from his room. A soft one at first. He stood debating on trying to calm her tears or leave her be. A sudden high pitched scream decided it for him and he rushed to her side.

Harvest Flower trashed on the pelts locked in a nightmare. Her tears and words a mixed jumble to him. He held her still but that seemed to make it worse. He picked her up setting her in his lap her rocked her whispering in her ear and stroking her hair.

She calmed and only small sobs filled the air. She trembled in his arms and he held her tighter to his chest. "I'll never let you go. I'm here I'll protect you." He rocked her afraid she would pull away from him.

She sniffled and held on to him balling her fist in his vest and burying her face in his neck. He softly held her. He could feel her relaxing in his arms and he waited. Her soft breathing hit his chest and neck in soft waves of heat. Her hands fell to he lap and her body went limp with sleep. He moved her back to the bed of pelts and watched her.

He moved to leave her alone and was stopped by a soft hand at his ankle. "Please stay here. Just for a while."

Without a word he sat back down beside her. He made no move to touch her or lay next to her. He watched her fall back asleep and when she was deeply asleep he returned to the large outside  room were he slept by the fire pit. His mind wondering over what her dream could have been to frighten her so much. He has so much to learn and he wanted to know everything.