Chapter 13: Lost Pain

Running Wolf sat watching the flames, Harvest Flower snuggled tight to his side. Nether woman would talk yet and the way Harvest Flower stuck to him something bad must have happened.

Singing Fox sat huddled in a blanket Gray Eagle gave her. She sat close to the fire nibbling on the cooked meat handed to her. The bruises on her dark skin made it clear the women did not go unharmed. Gray Eagle sat across the fire from Singing Fox sharpening a small twig with his knife. He would look up at Singing Fox every few minutes and his furry was taken out on the stick in his hands.

Harvest Flower tossed her head in her sleep a soft whimper on her lips. Running Wolf stroked her hair and she tensed opening her eyes. The flash of fear lasting only a moment before she relaxed under his gentle touch. Her soft smile touched his heart and he gathered her onto his lap, his hand resting on her stomach.

"Our child is well?" He asked softly placing a kiss on the top of her head.

She snuggled into his arms her hand lightly covering his. "It hurts I am afraid."

He held her for a moment before laying her back down. He laid down beside her pulling her to his chest. The thought of losing the child. His child. Ate at his soul. Thoughts of her growing large with his child filled him with joy. Her even breathing and relaxed grip eased his anger. His eyes moved back to Rising Bear, would she hate him if he killed her brother. Rising Bear could not go unpunished. His actions put Harvest Flower in danger, and must not be forgiven so easily. If the child dies before it lives Rising Bear would also die.

Dawn broke throwing pink and orange lights in sky. Running Wolf, careful not to wake Harvest Flower, got up and helped his men ready the horses and break camp. Rising Bear now tied by the wrists to walk behind the horses on a leash. Once the horses were ready Running Wolf woke Harvest Flower while Gray Eagle woke Singing Fox. Harvest Flower woke with a scream. Her eye wild and her hands ANF feet lashed out. Running Wolf tried to sooth her but The closer he got the worse she became. The journey would be longer now that they would have to proceed with caution. Gray Eagle helped Singing Fox onto his horse before mounting behind her. His arm wrapped proactively around her. Running Wolf refusing to let Harvest Flower ride alone grabbed Harvest Flower and held her to his chest. His words and warmth calming her. She sobbed and buried her face into his chest sobbing.

He waved his warriors ahead and he was left alone with Harvest Flower. Her sobbing now turning into words.

"Running Wolf please don't leave me. Don't leave me. It hurts oh it hurts. I don't want to lose it. He.... He tried to.... He touched me... Don't touch me." She sobbed into his chest again and Running Wolf felt his heart break. The pain in her would not be the kind easily healed. She was touched but how far that touch has went is the question. Has her spirit been broken? Running Wolf held her close tears gathered in his eyes for her. He failed at keeping her safe this time and the pain she is in now is his punishment for it.

Running Wolf set her on his horse before mounting behind her. He held her in front of him nudging the horse in the direction back home. When he caught up to his men no one asked questions or treated Running Wolf any different for showing such care for his wife. Every warrior took pride in their wives, they created life and women held important roles. If a women showed her strengths she could even be named chief.

Harvest Flower looked back over Running Wolf's shoulder at Rising Bear. She bit her lower lip with a small amount of worry when he missed his step and tripped. His body lurched but the tight rope jerked him forward causing him to somewhat run to catch up or be dragged. The warrior in charge of his leash never looked back or showed concern. All this is his fault but she couldn't bring herself to blame him. Half dead he did save her from being truly touched.

Running Wolf watched the emotions play on her face, his words meant to sooth her sounded harsh, "He stole something I love dearly. He must be punished. I will not kill him because he is your brother, but I will not show mercy. His crime is to great to let pass."

Her eyes met his and she nodded. "I understand and I thank you for his life. He only cares to much, more than a brother should."

Running Wolf straightened his back and looked straight ahead. "You are mine and I will never let you go. His feelings mean nothing."

She looked forward not seeing the path, her thoughts to deep. Her next sentence pulling him from his anger.

"Running Wolf, I love you too."

She looked up at him meeting his eyes that softened with her words. He put the reins in the hand that wrapped around her to hold her to him. His free hand now holding her cheek. He tilted her face up and kissed her lips hungrily. She kissed back wrapping her arms around his neck and opening her lips for him to enter with his tongue.

They battled with their mouths and soon found themselves halted by the side of the path. The warriors and a worried Singing Fox passing them by. They broke apart Harvest Flower panting and out of breath.

Running Wolf smiled and softly kissed her forehead. "You make this man happy."

Harvest Flower smiled shyly and placed small kisses along his bare chest. His muscles rippling when he nudged the horse back to a walk. She slowly explored each one with her hand causing him to pull the horse to a stop once more.

His chest vibrated with his husky voice, "We will not make it back to the village before dark if you continue."

She rested her cheek on his warm skin. "Take me home Running Wolf, our home. I need to be where I feel safe. I need you to erase these bad memories."

He set his heels into the sides of the horse. The sudden jolt of its fast movement sending Harvest Flower's hair into a gold flag in the wind over Running Wolf's shoulder. They quickly caught up with the group trotting back to the front. Singing Fox's small smile helped relax Harvest Flower. It wasn't long before the drumming of the horses hooves and swaying motion rocked Harvest Flower to sleep. Dreams flooded her mind. Scary images of Standing Elk appeared before her and she was frozen. Her body would not move. His voice and his rough hands pawed at her. The sick feeling and pain washed over her. She felt hot and cold at the same time. Running Wolf's lifeless body flashed before her eyes and she couldn't hold in the scream that clogged her throat.

Running Wolf shook her and kissed her head trying to wake her. The blood curling scream had startled the horses and the worried looks of his men concerned him. Her pain must be deep for it to hold her even in sleep. She woke crying and held Running Wolf so tight her fingers took on a ghostly white. She was burning up from a slight fever and this was not good.

He picked up the pace when she settled back down. Her heart rate still beating as fast as the humming birds wings. Her dreams found a voice and her mumbles became words and he pushed his horse faster. She needed the shaman and fast.

"No don't please. Mom dad stop. No. Don't die... Don't leave me alone..."

Her cries washed over him. What kind of life did she have to gain so many bad dreams. He could understand the dreams from this but her mom and dad how did that fit into this dream. She tensed and started to thrash on his lap forcing him to slow to almost a stop to keep her in place. Once she was settled once more the short down hill path to the canyons came into view. Without a word he kicked his heels in leaving his men behind in a dash to get her to the healer for help. The child in her stomach must be in trouble or will be if she keeps this up.

"Hold on little flower we are almost home." He whispered under his breath as he turned up the trail to the village.