Chapter 8: The search.

Running Wolf didn't sleep. He kept watch over Harvest Flower while she slept. The sun was rising slowly and he could still hear the cries of the women outside his lodge. Sun Dove's name will never be spoken aloud again. This pained him, to lose his grandmother so soon.

The women of the village have already removed her body and dressed her for her final journey to the Great Spirit. His eyes narrowed at the thought of Standing Elk. When he caught Standing Elk again he would make him pay. This time he would make sure his rotting body would no longer infect the earth.

Standing Elk lay in the shadows of a small cliff. His body weak from the loss of blood and the first stages of poisoning is setting in. The sun rise lessened his protection from watching eyes. He held his side, blood slowly clotting in the open wound. Soon it would be horribly infected and slow him more. He gritted his teeth and slid farther down the steep trail. Horses at the bottom moved around nervously. If he fell, he would be trampled. His eyes blurred and he wobbled on the narrow ledge. He kept going slowly planning his next move one fevered inch after the other. He would survive, he had to if only long enough to kill Running Wolf and his bride.

The sun rise put the village in action. Running Wolf left Harvest Flower in Singing Fox's care, why he shows Singing Fox so little emotion is hard to explain. He didn't want to hurt her or make her feel less loved. As Chief he wanted to keep her out of harms way. She is his little sister and now the only blood family he has left. This is the only way he knew how to protect her. Running Wolf sent scouts out in search of Standing Elk or any sign that he stayed close. The others started preparing Sun Dove's burial scaffold. Her last resting place on earth. Harvest Flower refused to stay in the lodge, and demanded to attend the last walk. After a small argument and Singing Fox offering to help her and keep an eye on her Running Wolf had to give in.

Her injuries were not so bad, so Running Wolf had agreed to let her walk with the other women. Singing Fox promised to stay by her side and because Gray Eagle would be close by at all times as her guard Running Wolf couldn't argue anymore.  Harvest Flower blamed herself for Sun Dove's death, and she felt like an outcast now. Singing Fox pulled the brush through Harvest Flower's long gold hair. Mesmerized by the softness.

Drums started beating at a slow tempo outside and Harvest Flower's heart sank with each beat. She flinched when Running Wolf walked in. His muscles gleamed with sweat from the heat. A smoldering look on his face. He walked straight to the extra room and when he walked out he held the jar of shinny beads in his hands. His gift would go with her on her long journey in the sky.

His voice deepened with sadness, "Come. It is time."

Singing Fox hurriedly put the brush away, and pulled Harvest Flower along behind her. Running Wolf already taking the lead with the warriors carrying Sun Dove's body on a bed of bark, between two long poles. The hide that wrapped around the underside of the bed stretched tight with the weight. Her jar of beads nestled in the crook of her arm.

Harvest Flower felt the sadness around her. All the women including herself wore the markings of loss. Red and black rings painted around wrists and ankles along with painted black and red feathers hung low in their hair or arm bands. Each woman took turns with a loud wailing, growing quite again as another started. Some cut themselves with short knives and others watched silently with tears flowing freely down their faces. This is how Singing Fox and Harvest Flower grieved.

The walk was short and just to the far side of the mesa. The empty platform waited just beyond the two tall poles at the entrance. Bright paints and colored feathers marked each pole and scaffold. This ground is sacred and only the beginning of the departed soul's journey into the spirit world.

Sun Dove's body was placed on the platform and each warrior placed more bark on top of the body. Everyone was silently watching now. Running Wolf placed a handful of grass in the bark, and a young brave ran over with a torch.

Running Wolf pointed the fire in each direction saying a prayer over his grandmother. The shaman chanted in the sing-song voice beside him. The shaman stopped and Running Wolf lit the grass throwing the torch onto the scaffold. After the fire caught the villagers left leaving Sun Dove to make her journey alone.

Running Wolf silently followed nodding to Harvest Flower who walked back slowly with Singing Fox at her side. The village would soon return to the normal activities of daily life, and only a few paint marks proof of the loss.

A small boy fell into step with Running Wolf. He tried to look as tall as possible and match Running Wolf's steps. Harvest Flower giggled and tapped Singing Fox's shoulder.

"Who is that little boy?" Harvest Flower asked. Her giggles increased when Running Wolf stopped suddenly, causing the boy to crash into his legs.

Singing Fox smiled, "That is Cloud Runner, a cousin of Running Wolf's and nephew to Gray Eagle." They laughed when the boy fell to the ground. "The shaman says the boy will be a great war chief someday."

Harvest Flower smiled and placed a hand over her stomach. "Maybe one day I'll have a little boy of my own. One who will follow his father's footsteps with pride."

Singing Fox's eyes lit up with happiness, "Maybe one grows inside now. You will just have to wait and see."

They giggled again and set out to fetch water from the spring fed pool. Running Wolf watching them from the corner of his eye. Pride swelled in his chest at her bright smile. The brave at his feet slowly dusting off his back side.

"Cloud Runner, to be a great warrior you must be alert and quick of mind." Running Wolf said with humor filling his voice.

Cloud Runner looked up with a determined frown, "I will try harder."

Running Wolf nodded and silently walked to Grey Eagle's side. Their eyes watching for any movement. That of returning scouts or Standing Elk himself. Gray Eagle's gaze lingered on Singing Fox for a moment longer. Running Wolf smiled to himself They would make a good pair. Blue Wing was one of the scouts sent to track Standing Elk. He now rode swiftly up the trail. His horse quickly bringing him to the top.

Blue Wing jumped from the horse's back and jogged over to Running Wolf. A young brave showing up just in time to grab the horses dangling reins.

"A horse from the canyon is missing. One Ear follows." Blue Wing announces quickly.

The brave led Blue Wing's horse away and waved to the three men watching him walk the horse to the corral. Running Wolf placed his hand on Blue Wing's shoulder, "You have done well, now rest."

Grey Eagle nodded and quickly whistled for his horse to be readied. Young braves hurried to the back corral to catch the horses. No extra call was needed for them to ready the Chief's horse as well.

It didn't take them long to have horses ready for Running Wolf and Grey Eagle, even a few extra warriors sat mounted and ready silently waiting. Pride once again filled Running Wolf's heart for his people. He wanted to tell Harvest Flower he would return soon, but she was not close by. He wanted to catch Standing Elk, before he disappeared in the mountains.

He mounted his horse and with a wave of his hand, his war party cantered out of the village, and down the steep trail to the canyons below. His prey would be moving quickly now by horse and if he reached the rocky cliffs they would lose the trail. They rode at a break neck pace down the trail leading to the canyon floor. If Standing Elk was on horse back he would have to ride beyond the canyon walls to the steep path leading to the mountain foothills. The terrain is mostly rock and sickly hard wood trees.