Chapter 14: Home

Harvest Flower woke with the soft touch of Running Wolf's hand on her cheek. Her eyes quickly taking in the colors around her. She sat up straight pulling away from Running Wolf slightly. The setting sun threw pink, purple, red, and orange beams of light into the sky and along the canyon walls. Her eyes looked far off still under the effects of the breaking fever. She tilted her head and looked up at the contrast of colors through the smoke hole, a hawk floated on a breeze overhead.

She knew she was safe now but her body rejected any touch. The cool rag still wet with water from the spring pool lay beside her. Running Wolf's eyes looked tired and hurt. She reached out for him and his hesitant response hurt her a little. Did she do something? Did the thought of Standing Elk touching her turn him away? She wanted to cry. He moved her to his lap and although her body tensed she snuggled into him. He rubbed her back and stroked her hair.

"Go for a ride with me." He said softly.

She nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck. He carried her to his horse and was soon mounted and riding away from the village.

Running Wolf nudged his horse down the small trail leading to the canyon floor. Harvest Flower relaxed in his arms, her hand softly resting on his arm wrapped around her waist. Harvest Flower smiled at the young brave watching the village sheep at the edge of the mesa. They were now out of the view of the village. He rode toward the forest that led back to her village and she panicked.

"Don't take me back. I want to stay." Her voice cracked.

Running Wolf shook his head. "I would never take you back to leave you. One day I will take you to visit and let your parents see their grandchildren. Not today. Today we visit the wild cats. Your spirit lives with them and only they can heal you."

She relaxed leaning into him. A den of wild cats lay just beyond the trees. An old stump hollowed out made their home. The small kittens crawled about exploring their home. Harvest Flower smiled and sat down on ground just a few feet away and watched them. Running Wolf stood guard incase the mother came back.

The kittens played with Harvest Flower. Pawing at the fringe on her dress or biting her finger tips. There playful nature made her bubble up inside. She could feel her pain fade. She is home. With Running Wolf and their people she is home and loved.

She looked up at Running Wolf with a smile. She felt happy the feeling she thought she lost she now had back. These soft little kittens reminded her she's not alone and even if it meant working hard she would over come anything. She felt a flutter in her stomach and smiled. It still lives inside her. Boy or girl it still grows.

Once back at the village Harvest Flower noticed her brother. The children all stood back some grabbing small rocks to occasionally throw at Rising Bear. He held his head down as he stumbled forward. The dried blood matted his hair and his body covered in dirt from the long stumbling walk home. He was being led around the village by anyone who wanted to.

Harvest Flower gave him a glance pity clearly glowing in her eyes. The warrior leading him turned his horse and Rising Bear disappeared from her view. The sudden halt of Running Wolf's horse snapped her head back forward. The breath she unknowingly held in rushed out in pure happy relief.

Running Wolf dismounted and lifted Harvest Flower from the horse. His warm hands held her waist gently. Without a word a young brave led the horse away. The people of the village now back to settling in for the night. Harvest Flower slid her arms around Running Wolf's neck and stepped into his embrace. The warmth now sparking into something much more. He quickly picked her up slipping one arm beneath her knees.

He entered the lodge not stopping until she lay on their bed of furs. She needed rest but he wanted more. He wanted to claim her as his and erase any trace of any other hands that touched her. He hungrily kissed her lips, devouring her soft moans. His hands traveled her body stopping on her flat stomach. He leans up breaking the kiss to look into her golden eyes.

She smiled up at him, curling her finger into his hair. "Kiss me." She whispered pulling him down to place small kisses on his lips.

He growled low and holding her hip he rolled them, so she lay on top of him. Her dress bunched around her waist. She sat up straddling him her eyes sparkling with pure love and passion. She pulled her dress over her head, dropping it to the side. His hands followed the path of his eyes. From her hips slowly up her sides to her breasts. Her nipples hardened at his touch and a moan left her throat. The bruises faded but still there made him angry. He sat up wrapping his arm around her back to hold her in place as he captured a hardened peak in his mouth. His other hand massaging the other in slow circles. She arched her back gripping his shoulders. Her head rolled back letting her hair fall behind her in waves of gold.

He felt his body harden painfully with each small moment of her hips. He pulled away causing her to whimper at the loss of his touch. He lifted her up just enough to loosen his leggings, the back of his hand brushing her wet mound. She squirmed with the soft touch crying out when his fingers touched her finding her nub. He swiftly turned her laying her back on the pelts quickly removing his clothes with ease.

He gently kissed her stomach, using his knee to spread her legs. Her hands gripped his hair pulling him up to kiss her. Their tongues battling and hands roaming. His touched her center with his shaft and he felt her open and tilt her hips up to meet him. He slowly entered her. The wet tightness threatening to make him lose all control. He thrust deep and her moan of pleasure drove him to a faster pace. She arched her back digging her nails into his shoulders. He thrust faster pushing as deep into her as he could. He could feel her tightening around him. He bent his head capturing a hard nipple with his mouth. He sucked the hard bead between his teeth using his tongue to flick it gently.

She cried out falling over the edge. She pulsed tight around him and he could hold back no longer. He thrust deep into her and groaned as his seed filled her.  He eased down to his elbows holding his weight off of her. Both panting trying to catch their breath.

He rolled to his side pulling her with him. His arms wrapped around her softly stroking her back.

She smiled her hand resting over his racing heart. "I love you Running Wolf."

His hand stilled on her back the rush of joy he felt swelled his heart. "I love you too my Golden Flower." He said his voice still deep from their lovemaking.

She sighed and snuggled into his arms kissing his chest unconsciously. Sleep quickly claimed her, pulling her deep into a black dreamless sleep.

Running Wolf knew when she fell asleep. His reluctance to let her go outweighed by the duties left undone. He tucked her into the furs, covering her with a soft blanket made of rabbit fur. He kissed her forehead before quickly dressing.

He would see to Rising Bear and make sure the sentries are posted around the village. Others would have questions and he still needed to check on Singing Fox.

He stepped from the hide door to find Gray Eagle walking straight toward him. Their eyes met and Running Wolf could feel the unease in the air.

He waited for Gray Eagle to reach him  "What news do you bring?"

Gray Eagle stepped to the side, "Rising Bear is waiting for a decision to be made, and the sentries are posted. Little Oak just told me about smoke rising from the south. Could be a moving tribe or more white men soldiers."

Running Wolf crossed his arms over his chest, "Send a few scouts to learn who is traveling close enough for a young brave to notice. We will prepare to protect the village, no one should be traveling this time of year. The snows are close and the game to few."

Gray Eagle nodded and quickly walked away melting into the darkness.

Rising Bear stood arms outstretched tied between two poles. His eyes narrowed at Running Wolf walking toward him. Rising Bear made a fist with both hands. His insides burned with rage and hate for Running Wolf. Harvest Flower should have belonged to Rising Bear. He glared at Running Wolf now standing before him.

"I can not kill you, yet. My patience runs thin with you. She is mine and will always be mine." Running Wolf said holding back his rage.

Rising Bear growled and lunged at Running Wolf, the ropes making him jerk back. "She should have been given to me."

Running Wolf spat at his feet, "To her brother, never. Blood or not she is your sister and the village would have cast you both out." Running Wolf couldn't believe the way Rising Bear was acting.

Rising Bear snarled, "My father is chief she is white. No one would object."

Running Wolf grimaced, "I find this hard to believe. I have no reason to finish this talk. Your punishment will be left to the women of the village." Running Wolf turned not giving Rising Bear a chance to reply.

Gray Eagle smiling at Running Wolf's decision. The women of the village could be more ruthless than any man. Rising Bear just might die after all. He walked away finding his way to his lodge to rest. Singing Fox still stayed in his lodge in her own little room afraid to be alone. He didn't mind but he would have to explain this to Running Wolf soon.

Running Wolf returned to his lodge. Harvest Flower still slept soundly, he stripped his body and joined her under the fur blanket. His arm wrapped around her waist when she instinctively curled into him. He kissed her head and waited for sleep to come. Tomorrow would be a long day.