Chapter 20: Her

Chapter 20: Her

I’m no fool. I may not have gotten all A’s in college but I know when something is not right. Call it women’s intuition or a gut feeling but there is something fishy about Dr. Willis. That lady had the nerve to talk to me like she knew me personal. The way she looked at my husband with stars in her eyes told me everything I needed to know. She likes my husband more than just a client or a friend. I’m telling her all of our personal business and she’s thinking about my man in a sexual way. What kind of bull shit is that?

I’ve been an FBI profiler for several years and I can’t believe I miss the signs. I don’t trust Dr. Willis at all. The more I think about it she addressed me like I was beneath her. She talked to Chris like he was a star. I can’t believe I hadn’t paid attention to that until now. I have been off my game lately but guess what I'm back. There is no way in hell I will lat that women come between me and my husband.

Before I went home I went to the mall I picked up the fragrance she told me she was wearing. She must mix up her fragrance because I didn’t smell it until today. I was listening to Chris talk when I got a whiff of her perfume. Right away I got a flashback to the day Chris walked in with lip stick on his collar. He smelled just like the perfume she was wearing. I was going to get to the bottom of this. If he was having sex with the lady we were telling our problems to I was going to kill him then kill her.

When I got home Chris wasn’t there. I sat at the island in the kitchen with the bottle of perfume in front of me. I was waiting for Chris to walk through the door. I don’t even know why I went to get the perfume. I think maybe I wanted proof or something. I had smelled it over and over again as I waited for Chris. It was the same smell from that day. He reeked of it. I should have said something that day but instead I went to see a divorce lawyer. I know I wanted to put this infidelity shit behind us and act like it didn't happen but if he was having sex with our therapist I was going to kill him then divorce him.

An hour after I got in the house Chris walked in. He saw me setting at the kitchen island and walked over to me. He towered over me as I played with the perfume bottle. I didn’t know what to say to him.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

I just wanted to slap him. Instead I asked, “are you cheating on me?”

“Now why would you think that?” He said then took a seat in the stool across from me.

“April 12th you came home with lip stick on your collar and you smelled like this,” I pushed the bottle towards him. “That’s what Dr. Willis was wearing today.”

It was crazy that I still remembered all the details of that day even the date. It has stuck with me for so long now.

“Are you implying that I’m banging our therapist?” He asked with shock written all over his face.

“Then explain to me why you had lipstick on you collar.”

“I really don’t know. I know I was seeing Dr. Willis like twice a week before you started to come. That lipstick could have come from anywhere. I do hug women. I probably hugged Dr. Willis that day. Is that a crime?”

Why would a therapist hug their client? Chris was such a smart ass and knew just want to say.

“Don’t get smart with me,” I ordered.

“Shanay I am not cheating on you I swear.” I didn’t look at him because I was afraid of what I may see in his eyes. “Shay I promise you I have never cheated on you.”

“I do not like her and we will not be seeing her anymore,” I informed him.

Even if he didn’t cheat on me with her I still didn’t trust her. She's secretly lusting over my husband. That’s one thing I knew. The way she looked at him told me everything. To her Chris could do no wrong.

“You are overreacting,” Chris said.

“Chris I do not trust that lady and I will not continue to go to her. We don’t need her anyway.”

“Fine,” Chris shouted. “We can make next session our last session.” I gave him the evil eye. “Can we tell her in person we won’t be returning?”

Relationships are about compromising so I agreed with his terms without a fight. As long as our next session would be the last time we saw her, I was fine with that.

“Are you still coming to the party tomorrow?” Chris asked me.

I just nodded my head.