Chapter 5: Them

***Authors Note***

Just a reminder chapters that are tilted Them are told from the therapist point of view and it's mostly memories of Chris and Shay's relationship

********************************************************

Chapter 5: Them

Christopher wanted to wait but once 15 minutes passed I was convinced Shanay wasn’t showing up.

“We should start.”

Christopher didn’t look too happy. More than anything he wanted his marriage to work. He couldn’t live without Shanay. Without her his life was meaningless. I wish he could see Shanay for who she really is. She didn’t care about anyone but herself. What kind of women puts her man through so much pain?

“Tell me about the day you propose to Shanay.”

Christopher chuckled.

Before Christopher could tell the story the door flung open. In walked Shanay in a beautiful yellow sun dress, that highlighted her figure. She was gorgeous. Her hair was pinned back in a bun. Her brown skin was as flawless as a baby’s.

“I’m sorry,” Shanay said as she took a seat.

I looked over and saw a smile on Chris’ face. He was happy she came.

“Christopher was about to inform me of the day he propose.”

Christopher took a deep breath and explained….

“It had to be one of the worse days of my life and it should have been the happiest. I had it all planed out. I wanted to propose to her on her birthday around her family and friends. I know you propose in a romantic setting but Shay is all about family and her friend. I planned a surprise party for her. I had her friends invite everyone. I wouldn’t know who to invite. While we were waiting for Shay to arrive her Ex boyfriend stopped me in the kitchen.”

Christopher stopped talking and turned to Shanay, “Who the hell invited him anyway?” Christopher asked Shanay.

“I think my sister did. She was always friends with him even before I started to date him,” Shanay reminded Christopher.

“I never thanked her for that.”

They both laughed and you could see the love between them.

I pushed Christopher to continue his story…. “Her Ex started to say some bullshit to me about how I really don’t know Shay. He said some shit about me not being good enough for her. Honestly if I wasn’t so focused on making Shay’s days special I would not have let him get away with saying that to me. I take it Nicole told him I was proposing to Shay. Nicole was the big brains behind the whole operation. Nicole and Marie are the closest to Shay so they pretty much planned everything. I wanted the moment to be perfect. My beautiful wife was stuffing her face with cake when I walked up to propose to her. Shay has always had an appetite.”

Shanay busted into laughter. I could tell that was another insider for them.

“I got on one knee and I believe Tonya removed the plate of cake from her hands….”

“It was Marie,” Shanay cut in.

“I got on my knees. I can’t remember what I said though.”

“Shanay Anya Johnson you are my better half. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Marry me,” Shanay said mocking Christopher’s voice.

Christopher laughed then continues with his memory of that day…“Yea what she said. I waited for what had to be 10 minutes for an answer. I was sure she would say yes. We had been dating for 3 or 4 years I think. I knew everything about her. She knew what I would say before I said it. But she didn’t answer my proposal; instead she walked away from me. I felt like I had my answer. If a person doesn’t respond then that’s a no. That’s when I thought about what her ex said and I figured he knew her better than I did. Maybe she should be with him. I walked into the kitchen. I was so angry but I wasn’t going to raise my voice at her. I acted like I was cool. My proud wouldn’t let me break down in front of her. I told her something along the lines of she could go back to her ex. Then I stormed out.”