Chapter 7: Him

Chapter 7: Him

Shay was really going through with this separation which would eventually lead to a divorce. I wasn’t happy at all but if it was what she really wanted to do, I wasn’t going to stop her and I damn sure wasn’t going to beg her. I did all I could now what’s left is up to her. She wanted out. We had been through so many ups and downs I thought we could get pass this one. In additional to that I felt so much guilt because I was hiding a big secret from my wife and if she found out she would be angry. She would hate me. I think she may even try to kill me. But no matter what I couldn’t tell her. I would never tell her. I will take it to my grave.

There was this one time when Shay was pregnant with our daughter Renee (Shay pick out her name before she even knew she was pregnant). I came home and Shay was in the dark crying. It’s wasn’t funny at the time but every time I think of it now I laugh. I automatically went into protective mode when I saw her crying on the sofa. I wanted to make sure she was okay. I raced to her side and asked her what was up.

She hands me the watch I cherished a lot. The face was shattered as if someone had step on it.

She started to apologize over and over again.

I want to laugh in her face for crying about a stupid watch even if I did pay a lot of money for it but I didn’t want to make her cry more. I just held her and told her I forgave her. I made some jokes and she was back to laughing and smiling. I wish I could tell her a joke now and everything would just be okay.

I walked up the steps of our home. I wanted to make her laugh. I got to what use to be my bedroom door and called out, “Shay.”

She didn’t answer so I knocked. Still no answer.

I figured she was sleep but something didn’t feel right so I cracked the door. I could see her laying across the bed lifeless in her clothes. I push the door all the way open, “Shay,” I called out.

I figured she was sleep but I wanted to put her under the covers so she wouldn’t freeze. The house was pretty cold.

I walked to her side and that’s when I notice a dark hand print around her neck. “Shit.” I said to myself. I put my head to her chest to see if she was breathing, she wasn’t. I reached for the cordless and dialed 911.

The operator informed me on how the perform CPR on her. I was able to get her breathing again right when I heard glass shatter. I reached under the bed and pulled out a silver titanium box that contain the 9 millimeter gun and the bullets. I loaded the gun and clicked the safety off.

If one of the paramedics hadn’t shouted their arrival one of them would have left my house in a body bag.

They loaded Shay into the ambulance and rushed her to the nearest hospital. I was right by her side. I called Logan once I reached the hospital and he called everyone else because I just couldn’t manage another phone call. I was sick with worry about my wife.

They had me in the waiting room for two hours by then Marie, Mary, Logan, and even Tonya was there. My eldest brother Vincent was there for support too. I know Kevin would have been there too but he was in Philly. Shay’s mother died two years ago but her two older brothers, Caleb and Daniel were there. Shay also has a younger sister Nicole but they are not on speaking terms and she lives in New York. I called her when Logan told me her couldn’t get in touch with her but her number was disconnected. Neither Caleb nor Daniel knew her new number.

After the long wait they informed me Shay was fine but that didn’t mean she was safe. Clearly someone had just tried to kill her. I had no idea who it could have been. Logan informed me he could get her a 24 hour body guard. Body guard or no body guard I was not leaving her side until we found out who was responsible.