Chapter 6: Her

Chapter 6: Her

I hadn’t laughed in months and all it took was a lunch date out with my bestfriend Marie. I’ve known Marie since my freshman year of college and we’ve been like sisters every since. She invited her twin sister Mary, who I’ve recently became close with.

Mary decided we needed a day out at Fridays. I just wanted to drink. I hadn’t had a drink in a long time.

“Hows the kids,” Mary asked Marie.

Marie always said she would be alone. She had the love of her life and twin girls. Brittany and Courtney are only two years old and bad as they wonna be. They are so gorgeous though. They look just like so much like Marie....and Mary. You would think Brittany and Courtney were Mary’s kids too.

“They cry like they just came home.”

I laughed. Brittany and Courtney were screamers if they didn’t get what they wanted. They are two years old and they know how to use daddy to get what they want. Marie’s not having that though.

“How are yours kids doing?” I asked Mary.

“Bad as ever.” We laughed. “I can’t believe I let my husband talk me into another one.”

Mary was pregnant with her third child. Mary never wanted kids but she loved being a mother we all knew that. Her husband didn’t talk her into anything. She wanted it just as much as he did.

“Girl you lucky you don’t have kids,” Marie said playfully than she looked at my face, which probably had pitiful written all over it. “I’m so sorry Shay.”

That’s when the first tear dropped. What they had I wanted and I was jealous. I wanted a little girl or a little boy to call me mommy. I wanted a bad kid running around the house driving me and Chris crazy. I wanted to give Chris a son. I wanted to change dippers and wake up in the middle of the night to get the crying baby. I wanted it so bad it hurt. The sad part was I knew I would never get it.

“I gotta go.” I dropped a 2o on the table and rushed to the door. I could hear my friends calling for me to come back but I couldn’t face them. I just wanted to be alone. I could only be happy for five minutes, than after that everything went horribly wrong. I was just spiraling down.

I could never face anything so I always run off, it was an easy way out. I was in such a dark place. I just wanted to be alone and cry all the times. I wanted to think about my horrible life. I didn’t want to bring others down.

I drove to a park and sat in my car thinking.

I remember the day I walked in on Chris setting at his desk with his secretary half-naked. I was so angry. I stormed out of his office because I didn’t want to face him, he followed after me but he couldn’t keep up. I went home and started packing my stuff, I was going to leave his ass. I told him I would never play a fool. I was halfway out the door when Chris pulled up in the driveway.

“Please talk to me,” Chris asked.

I bellowed, “I told you I will never play second best and I will never play the fool.”

“I swear…”

I cut him off, “I did not lie to you and even if I did that don’t give you the right to screw your secretary.”

“I swear on everything I was trying to stop her. Baby please believe me.” Chris pleaded.

We were on the front porch fussing with each other. I didn’t want to fight anymore. I walked around him to get down the step but my foot got caught in the shoulder strap of my laptop bag. I tripped and fell down the steps.