Chapter 15: Her

Chapter 15: Her

            It was so good to see Nicole. Nicole jumped right into my life. I had to break the news to her that I was thinking about a divorce. She was not happy because she is basically the one who helped us get married after our son died. She just started screaming and attacking me. She still wouldn’t let it go. She had spent the night and was now helping Marie, Mary, and I out with the bar plans.

     We had blueprints and paper spread out all across the kitchen table. Everyone but Mary, who supplied the wine, had a wine glass in their hand. We were thinking of a name for the bar.

     “Do you two know this fool about to divorce the love of her life. Her soul mate,” Nicole partially hollered. To me she said, “Are you on crack.”

     “It’s just a separation,” I corrected her.

     “That will lead to a divorce,” she shot back.

     “Girl things just don’t work out,” I informed her.

     “Work out…doesn’t work out! Eating a salad doesn’t work out, getting A’s doesn't work out.” We all stared at Nicole with wide eye because we didn’t understand her logic. “You and Chris work out!” She hollered. “Next thing you know you going to tell me Tonya is divorced.”

     All of us looked away and acted like we didn’t hear her.

     “O hell no.” No one made eye contact with her. “They divorced for real.”

     “Yea.” Marie answered.

     “What the hell. Is there no fairy tale ending anymore,” Nicole asked then took swig of her red wine. “What happened to them?”

     “She was cheating on him…a lot,” I informed her.

     “Tonya,” Nicole questioned with her mouth wide open.

     Tonya was what you would call a good girl. According to everyone she could do no wrong until she cheated on her husband. Tonya and I have been friend since high school. In fact she, Nicole, and I use to hang out all the time. She’s been dating Logan for as long as I’ve known her. Nicole always claimed she wanted a love like theirs. We all thought they would last forever.

     “I think she had like 7 other boyfriends.” I added.

     “Get out of here,” Nicole said.

     “Lets not forget she gave Logan an STD,” Mary added.

     Nicole nearly choked on her wine.

When I found out Tonya was cheating I couldn’t believe it either. I told her stop before she lost everything she had but I don’t think she care at that moment. The thrill was amazing and she thought she was getting something her husband couldn’t offer.

     “Tonya who wouldn’t even roll a jay with us.” I nodded. “Tonya who wouldn’t drink until she was 21.” I nodded again. “Tonya the girl who made straight A’s and wouldn’t cut class with us.” I just nodded. “What the hell is this world coming to?”

     “You were the one who said she would eventually go wild,” I informed her.

“Yea get drunk and black out wild not cheat on her husband and give him an STD wild.”

     We all laughed at her. Nicole was wild and blunt. That girl sugar coated nothing. She told it like was and kept real. That’s my sister for you.

     “I don’t even think what she did was wild,” Mary said.

     Marie added, “Yea that’s just dirty.”