Chapter 16: Her

Chapter 16: Her

     For the first time in months I slept peacefully. I didn’t wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat. I didn’t even wake up with back pains.

     It reminds me of when Chris’ sold body was next to me. I always felt safe with Chris next to me. I always got the best sleep right after we had sex and I curled up next to him. I do miss those nights. It also pained me to think of another woman curling up next to my man.

     The best part about sleeping so greatly was waking up to the smell of bacon. I brushed my teeth and slipped on a pair of Chris’s shorts. I was staving and the bacon smell was calling me. I rushed to the kitchen to find my handsome husband singing over a skillet. I looked at the center island, which was stocked with food; Bacon, Pancake, fruits, hash browns, eggs, and grits. My husband normally doesn’t cook. Actually, he can barely cook. He’s not a bad cook but he’s not a great cook either. He was always good with breakfast food though.

     “Where did you get all the food,” I question as I took a seat at the island.

     I haven’t shopped for groceries in months. The carryout around the corner has been my best friend for the past two months. I think I’ve tried everything on the menu. I think I maybe their best customer too because every time I order they give me a free chicken and egg rolls.

     “I went shopping this morning and stocked the refrigerator,” Chris informed me as he flipped a pancake.

     “Are you cooking for an army?” I asked jokily.

     There was enough food on the counter to feed an orphanage. I wasn’t complaining seems how I haven’t had a home cooked meal in months. I just didn’t know where all that food was going.

     “Logan and another lawyer are stopping by in like 20 minutes and I invited Nicole to,” he answered as he places pancakes on a platter.

     I was saddened that he didn’t cook for me. I thought all of the food was for me.

     “O so you didn’t cook for me,” I questioned.

     “I did cook for you but then Logan called to tell me we had to meet the new guy. So I invited them over. Nicole called 15 minutes ago so I invited her too.”

     “New Guy?”

     “We are branching out.” I raised my brows. “We are opening a new firm in New York and we’re looking for two new lawyers. One for our firm in Maryland and the new one in New York.”

     I know Logan and Chris have been thinking about expanding for years now. I wish I’d known sooner. Then again we have just recently started talking.

     “So Logan and Chris are splitting up?”

     They’ve always been a team and if they split I don’t think it would be the same.

     “Yes one of us has to move to New York.”

     “Who?”

     “Me,” he said lowly.

     I was taken aback. I thought we were trying to work out our marriage and now he wants to move. I didn’t want to go to New York. Maryland is my home and I was opening a bar. I wasn’t relocating.

     “That’s what we decided on about a month ago but things have changed. We are trying to make things work and your happy here. Maybe I won’t leave. Even if that is the case it won’t be for a while. The law firm is being renovated as we speak and that’ll be finished after Christmas. So we can discuss it then or now.”