Chapter 17: Him

Chapter 17: Him

Shay and I have been doing better than ever the last few weeks. We actually have conversations and spend more than 5 minutes in the same room. We’re moving forward in our relationship.

The problem is In January I will be going to New York to set up the firm. I haven’t told her this yet. Eventually, I am going to have to move to New York. Logan and I set on me going to New York. At the time I was sure my marriage was over and I wanted a new start somewhere new. I didn't want a consistent reminder of Shay and that's what Maryland will always be. The impending death of my marriage actually pushed to be to open my own firm. Before that I was comfortable where I was and that is never a good thing. The firm in New York was me doing something before for myself. The firm in New York is my baby. It set up the way I want and I get to choose my partner. What was I going to do if Shay didn’t want to come with me? Shay is comfortable here in Maryland. I can't lose her.

On top of that there is something Shay does not know, something I’ve been keeping secret for a long time. How can I want a new start with my wife and not tell her this secret that’s been eating me alive. I don’t think I can ever tell Shay about it because I’m sure it would end our marriage. But I can’t keep lying to her either. I just wish things could go back to the way they use to be.

Then there’s Lisa my old secretary. Should I tell my wife about her, Shay would surely want leave me if I tell her about Lisa. I have no feelings for Lisa but Shay wouldn’t see it that way. She would just see it has disrespect and betrayal. I see it as a mistake that will never happen again. Logan thinks I should come clean but I don’t want to ruin what we have going for us now. She was happier, not as happy as before but better than a few months ago. I didn’t want to take her joy away. I don’t want to risk losing her either.

“What are you thinking about?” Shay asked me.

We were having breakfast at the kitchen table. I wasn’t eating but I was pretending to read the Washington Post while Shay ate cereal. We eat breakfast and dinner together now or at least we try. I’m busy with work most of the time. I’m making plans for the firm in New York, helping Michael build his clientele, and keeping up with my clients. It’s a lot to handle. I had rescheduled our appointment with Dr. Willis three times.

“We have an appointment today,” I informed her. I didn’t want to tell her what I was really thinking about.

“I remember it’s at 2. You are the one who’s been forgetting lately.”

I kind of left her at Dr. Willis’s office twice. I didn’t forget I just got a little occupied. However, I did forget to tell her about the Halloween party Logan and I were throwing.

“We are having a party tomorrow tonight.” Shay raised her eyebrow. “The Halloween party we have every year.”

We never actually have the Halloween party on or near Halloween. It was normally a week before Halloween. It wasn’t a costume party either. We just have party’s for every holiday so people at the firm could mingle and met other lawyers.

“Halloween is not for another week and a half.” Before I could get any words out she added, “Never mind you guys always have your parties’ way before the holidays.” I nodded. “I don’t have anything to wear.”

That was normal.

“I brought you something,” I said then winked at her. “Don’t worry you will love it.”

“Ok,” she said.

Two weeks ago I had a friend help me pick out what she called a vintage white dress. The dress was cut low in the back, so low my wife’s whole back will be out. I’m sure her ass would look good in it. The thought of her in that dress made me horny. I still hadn’t made love to her yet. We’ve been kiss like two teenagers but I’m ready to be intimate with my wife again.

“Do you think we can lose the body guard,” Shay asked.

James was still around. The person who attacked Shay still is out there and I will not risk her life. I was going to do everything in my power to make sure she was safe.

“No” I informed her.

She did one of her combos and rolled her eyes while sighing. Normally that gets her what she wants but it was not working this time.

“That’s not going to work,” I informed her.

She crossed her arms and gave me the angry face at the same time my phone started to vibrate. I looked at my phone to find Lisa’s name on the screen. I hit ignore. Lisa has been calling me religiously for two week now. I don’t know what her problem was. We were done, nothing else would happen between me and Lisa but she couldn’t seem to get that through her head.

I know I'm partly to blame for her crazy actions but she has to stop with the harassment. No matter how much she tried to throw herself at me I was never going back down that road. I don't know how many times I have to hit the ignore button before she got the picture.

“Who's that?” Shay asked.

“Logan but I'll talk to him later. I'm spending time with my sexy wife,” I lied.

Shay leaned over and passionately kiss me. I felt horrible. I was lying to her and using compliments so she would see thorough my lies. I didn't want to lie but I felt like it was something I had to do if I wanted to keep our marriage on the straight and narrow. I also didn't want to have an argument about someone I could care less about.