Chapter 14: Him

Chapter 14: Him

            I hate to see my wife in pain. It does something to me that I can’t even explain. I carried her out to the parking lot while she sobbed into my ears. I just wanted to make her pain go away. I want to make her smile. I miss her smile.

            “I can drive us home or you can take your car back home,” I said in her ears.

            “Just take me home,” she sobbed.

            I put her in my truck then instructed James to drive her car back to the house. We drove in silence back to the house. Shay had stopped crying but she was biting her nails, which was a sign of frustration.

            I barely put the car in park before she hoped out the truck and ran for the door. I was about five minutes behind her.  When I walked in the house the lights were still off but I could hear noises coming from the master bedroom. I opened the door to find her laid out across the foot of the bed with a movie on. Watching movies always took her mind off whatever was stressing her out. The remote was setting on the dresser next to the door so I hit the mute button because I wanted to talk to her.

            “What you do that for,” she said.

            “Do you still blame me?” I asked her.

            She sat up Indian style between the bed posts. She didn’t say anything for what seemed like forever.

            I asked her again, “Do you blame me for our son’s death.” She stared. “Do you blame me for our daughter’s death too?”

            She finally sobbed, “No.” I crossed my arms. “I was so anger that day. I said so many things I didn’t mean. When I woke up in the hospital that day I already knew our son was gone. I couldn’t feel him in my stomach and I just had this bad feeling. I wanted it all to be a dream. Honestly I really just blamed myself,” she informed me.

            I kicked off my shoes then hoped in bed behind her and wrapped her up in my arms. She leaned back into my chest.

            “It’s not your fault. Like you always tell me things happen for a reason.”

She always had trouble taking her own advice. She never had a problem giving her advice though.

“I’m sorry for what I said that day. I’m not even sure I ever apologized.” She said as she wiped her tears from her face.

“I apologize for jacking your lawyer up,” I said jokingly, which made her laugh. “You know I haven’t held you in what seems like forever.”

“Don’t screw it up either,” she joked.

I wanted to rock her to sleep. Unfortunately I didn’t get that chance because the doorbell rang. People sure knew how to interrupt you when you are busy. I ran for the door to find Nicole there. I hadn’t seen her in forever.

“Nicole,” was all I could say.

If it wasn’t for Nicole I don’t think Shanay and I would be married right now. Last I heard she moved to New York. Nicole and Shanay had a big falling out. It was the stupidest argument but it lead to them not speaking to each other for years. They were arguing about their mother’s belongings. They couldn’t figure out who got what. I think both of them were grieving so much that it became anger. Shay didn’t want to talk about their mothers things so she flipped. My wife, Shanay does not know how to handle her emotions. She normally just holds it in or burst. Both of them started to take blows to each other’s ego and they’ve never been the same since.

I was happy to see Nicole back in town maybe she could knock some sense into my stubborn wife. Nicole had a big impact on Shanay. They’ve always been close.

“Damn I can’t get no hug,” Nicole hollered.

 I wasn’t even sure she was real. I never would have thought I would see her on my door steps after the fight she had with her sister. I was there when it happen and heard what they said to each other.

I gave her a hug then pointed her in the direction of Shay. Before I could shut the front door I could hear them screaming with excitement to see each other. Looks like I was sleeping alone again. But at least they were making up.