Chapter 18: Them

Chapter 18: Them

I hadn’t seen Shanay and Christopher in over a month. It was good seeing Christopher but I didn't care for Shanay. His facial hair was growing in and his white oxford shirt fit his body perfectly. Shanay on the other hand looked unusual. She was always dressed to impress but today Shanay just hand on holey jeans with a purple tank top. No make up and her hair was pulled back into a high bun.

I’ve been waiting for them to come back in so I could finish the story Christopher started but never finish because of Shanay's break down. After a month Christopher still remembered where he left off in the story he shared so long ago. When we started the session Christopher continued his story from the last time I talked to them.

“After our son died Shay was so angry and I was hurt she blamed me. We kind of stopped talking. She told me she was going to stay with her mother for a while and a while turned into a month. We just didn’t talk. I stayed at the apartment we had rented out. I would visit the nursery and think about our son. Finally after two months I was tired of the silence on both of our ends. I called Shay who told me we shouldn’t be together.”

I cut in and asked Shay, “Why did you tell him that.”

“I was hurt and I said hurtful things. I felt like he deserved better than my painful words,” she answered.

She was right about one thing, Christopher did deserve better. I was here to help him see that. This girl only hurt him. She’s not even a women she a girl trying to be a woman.

“But the nuptials did happen, “I pushed.

“Yea with the help of my sister.”

“sister,” I pushed more.

“Nicole , my younger and I have always been close,” she laughed to herself and then contained her story. “She always real. The day I was going over to the apartment to pick up my stuff and return his ring I stopped by Nicole’s place first. She was having problems and I was a shoulder to lean on. I told her about Chris and I breaking up. She was pissed. I really felt like Chris could do better than me. Nicole wanted me to realize no one is perfect. I was scared to be rejected and I heard through the grapevine that he was seeing some girl.”

“I was not seeing that girl,” Christopher cut in already knowing what 'girl' Shanay was talking about.

“She liked you,” Shanay fired back.

“So,” Christopher pushed.

“Chris you going set here and say you weren’t seeing her. Taking her ass to McDonalds is a date and I know you took her to see a movie. You probably kissed her too.” Shanay yelled.

I could tell the topic was pissing her off. Her face was turning red and her eyebrows were curved in.

“I just enjoyed her company,” Christopher said calmly.

“That’s your damn problem. You enjoy the company of other women,” Shanay fired back.

I could tell there was more to her statement but I didn’t push it.

“Are we really arguing about something that happened years ago,” Christopher questioned with a puzzled look on his face.

I could see Christopher was not about engage in an argument with her. She wasn’t worth his breath so I gladly cut in, “Shanay did you ever think what you were doing was wrong.”

Shanay was taken aback by my tone. At that moment I was sick of her childish ways. Someone had to teach this girl a lesson. Rena didn't know how to do that.