Chapter 12: Her

Chapter 12: Her

            I could not believe Chris’ behavior at Ihop. Chris is normally an even tempered person; I’m the one with the anger issues. I have to admit it was kind of sexy but out of line. Jackson and I were just having coffee when he was snatch out of his seat. Jackson was terrified. He wouldn’t even speak to me after the event and he wouldn’t step outside until he knew Chris was gone. I’m sure Jackson thinks my husband is out of his damn mind.

The funniest part of the altercation was Chris really accused me of cheating. I laughed in his face because I found it comical. First off if I was cheating I wouldn’t bring my lover to Ihop, we would be in a hotel somewhere. Secondly, I wouldn’t have an affair with someone twice my age. Jackson is damn near 56 years old with two grandkids. He looks young, very young but I found out he’s 55. I’m 31, I would at least pick someone under 45.I think I can do better than that if I was cheating. He is an attractive man but not my type. I like my men dark like Chris.

          Marie and Mary couldn’t believe it either when I replayed the altercation to them over lunch. Actually they found it funny, it was very funny. Chris should know my type by now. What pissed me off about the whole situation is my husband probably has cheated on me.  You know the saying; well if isn’t the pot calling the kettle black. Chris was the pot in this scenario. He has the audacity to accuse me of something he is doing himself. We are just going to have to see how this plays out in therapy.

          “He thought you were cheating on him with the white guy,” Marie laughed.

          “What you trying to say,” I asked.

          “Jackson is not your type” Marie informed me.

          “You like your men kinda dark,” Mary added.

          I’m glad they know what my type is because apparently my husband doesn’t.

          “Does the body guard have to go with you everywhere?” Marie questioned as she eyeballed James.

          I’ve gotten use to James that sometimes I forget he’s even there.

          “Yep,” I said.

          “How are you anyway?” Mary asked.

          “What’s up with the separation?” Marie added.

          “Chris has sort of moved back in for my protection.” They laughed. “Chris wants me to do 5 more session before I send in the papers in.”

          “And,” Mary pushed.

          “We’ll see what happens after the fifth sessions.”

          They were excited. They really wanted my marriage to work more than I think Chris did. They’ve watched Chris and I go from friends to husband and wife. I think in their minds we were prefect together. I’m not saying we’re not but we are not prefect. Prefect is not the word for Chris and I. When the going is good it’s great but when it’s bad it’s awful. I can’t even remember when it’s been good. I don’t know how we got here. A part of me has to figure this out. Part of me, a big part cannot let him go. But can I keep him tied down when I can’t give him what he wants or needs. Can I keep dragging him on this road or should I just cut him loose? What do you do? If you love them you want them to be happy. That’s all I want.

          “We need to get on this Bar movement,” Mary informed us.

          Surprisingly, I was in a great mood and I was ready to take the next step with our Bar. I was ready to open up to my friends again too.

          “How about tomorrow afternoon we meet up at my place. Mary bring the drinks, Marie you bring the paperwork, and I’ll cook.”

          They nodded in argument.

          We hadn’t settled on a name and I think we need to change the opening date. We also need a band to play for opening night. If we really wanted this bar to be successful we had to get our stuff together.

          “How are we going to get a band?” Marie asked.

          I was about answer her question when my phone rang. It was an unknown number but I excused myself and took the call anyway.

          “Hello,” I said into my Bluetooth as I walked toward the exit.

          “Hey Shay,” a familiar voice screamed at me. “Girl its Nikki!”

          I knew who it was. I hadn’t spoken to her in over three years. Nicole is my younger sister. She’s only a year younger than me but we’ve always been as close as two peas in a pot. After our mother died we got into a huge disagreement. It was strange hearing her voice. We both agreed that we would never speak to each other again. To be honest I really can’t remember what started the fight but I know it ended with me telling Nicole she would never amount to anything and her tell me I was a stuck up bitch who would die alone. We were probably arguing over mom’s assets.  My brothers told me she was in New York somewhere; they don’t speak to her either. My little sister is known for trouble. Where ever she goes she just causes trouble. I think my brothers were sick of her too. I have heard her name a lot recently in the media because she a music producer.

          “Yea I know. What do you want?”

          I don’t know why I was harsh with her. I really did miss her.

          “I’m in Maryland and Caleb told me what happened to you. I think we should talk and put our difference behind us.”

          More than anything I needed my baby sister. She always knew what to say to make me feel better. She was the one person besides Chris and Marie who would give it to me real. I wanted to forget about what happened in the past and move forward with the future.

          “I’m sorry for the things I said to you,” I told her.

          “I know.”

          “Stop by my place tonight and we can talk.”

          I rambled off my address and then we said our goodbyes.

          Nicole had no idea what has been happening to me. She probably thinks Chris and I are happily married with a kid. Neither of those is true.

          “That’s was Nicole,” I informed them as I sat back down at the table.

          “She’s a music producer right,” Marie asked.

          “yea,” I said not understanding why that mattered.

          “She could probably help us out with a band.” Marie informed me.

          “I like the way you think,” I joked.

          I had never thought about Nicole when we were talking about bands. That was probably because Nicole and I were not speaking. My sister and I have had plenty of fight but not like that one. I remember her slapping me in the face for calling her worthless. We were really at each other’s throats that day.