Chapter 39

The preliminary had been torment enough on Dom. It had torn him down watching Ashley sit patiently through everything that she was being accused of as the judge had decided whether or not all of the evidence was worthy enough of going to a trial. It had been to Dom's dismay.

He was happy that she was able to stay out of a jail cell until things were completely sorted out and decided, but the waiting was hard. He took every opportunity to be with her, making sure that she stayed safe and had someone with her. He appreciated everything that Liv had been doing for her. It was no small feat to do. "Thank you." He said quietly to her as they walked back to Tom's place to see how the girl was coping now that she was out of the court room styled setting.

Liv glanced up at him before responding. Her gaze had pulled itself back to the sidewalk and all the cracks in it. "She's my friend now. It's not anything that I shouldn't be doing."

The corner of Dom's lip turned up briefly before growing serious again. "You wouldn't be friends if you hadn't offered to help me. For that, I'm appreciative." There was no way for him to really show how blessed he had been by her help. The least he could do was offer the words.

Liv quietly laughed and bumped her shoulder into him. "I still can't believe she took you back. You so didn't deserve it."

Dom looked down at her with his eyebrows up in surprise. "I just thanked you and all you have for me is criticism. I don't know how to take that, Liv." He watched another laugh slip from her lips.

"You're a smooth talker, Dom. Always have been. She took you back because of your smooth words. I can see that as obvious as the clouds floating around in the sky above us. But you still didn't deserve it no matter how many apologies you shower on both of us." She said with an obviousness in her tone. "But I'm glad she did take you back. It makes it easier to be a friend to both of you." She gently elbowed him with a wink lighting up her face.

"Gee, thanks, Liv." He rolled his eyes at her. He let his mood get more serious as the thought of the day floated through his mind. "How do you think this will all play out?"

Liv didn't look over at him. She was choosing her words carefully. "Honestly, I don't know. But no matter what happens, she'll have us both. That's all we can offer right now."

Dom followed her up the steps into Tom's house. He knew she was right. It was all that they could do, but the waiting and the building anticipation wasn't making any of this easy. He was thankful that she was alright though. They'd get through everything as it came along. It was just what they did. Time would tell on everything.

As they entered the house, the smell of a certain special brand of cologne radiated the air. He looked down at Liv as she looked up at him with a slightly questioning look.

"Miko?" She silently mouthed to him.

His body tensed. Why would he be there? He swallowed hard and walked past Liv and into the living room. He was relieved to see Ashley sitting cross legged on the couch with a black cat laying in her lap. The smile she offered him almost broke his wariness, but he couldn't shake the need to know that everything was alright.

"What was Miko doing here?" The words softly slipped out of Liv's mouth next to him.

He was thankful for her asking the question first. It would make him seem not as protective as he wanted to be. It wouldn't smother Ashley as much.

"He wanted me to join." She said calmly, but Dom could pick up the obvious surprise in her voice. "Scared me at first. He was sitting in here waiting for me. I thought maybe he had come to kill me or something."