Chapter 33

I think this goes without saying -

Content Warning!: Violence, Language, Disturbing Imagery.

----------------------------------------

Stan listened to the rain pounding on the overhang above them. It was nice to be out in the open. The alley was completely covered, yet open enough to see everything going on around them. He watched Eddie come out of the darkness and walk up to Trent.

Stan could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He watched Eddie whisper something to Trent. The leader's body relaxed and he tapped Eddie's shoulder with his hand. Stan could hear the satisfaction in his voice and he wondered what had just went down.

Worry gnawed at the strings of his heart. He wondered where Ashley was. Maybe this had something to do with her well-being. He sure as hell hoped not. He fidgeted in his position on the large garbage can. He tried to keep his focus on other things, but seeing Eddie walk away and sprawl out on a worn out bench to clean his gun disturbed him. The fact that he was taking the time to clean his weapon alerted Stan to foul play. The only reason he'd take the time was to get rid of possible gun residue that would have scattered all over the gun from being fired was because it had been used.

He resisted the urge to question the fellow brother. It put a target on his head. Waiting things out would be better. He looked over at some of the other guys that had joined them in the alley. Chase and Vic both had relaxed, but also looked curious. However, neither of them breathed a word or question. Stan guessed that they also knew better than to ask questions.

He put his focus back to twiddling at a piece of wood. It was quiet tonight. There wasn't anything to be collected and there was no need to protect their territory. Things were silent except for the rain that poured down.

"Is that you, Ash?" Trent's voice rang out, catching Stan's attention.

His gaze pulled up from his knife as he looked at a figure walking in the rain toward them. It was definitely a woman. Her long hair was dripping water off the ends. Her hoodie was unzipped and barely staying on her shoulders. A large stain was smeared across her thin, white camisole. A gun hung by her side. Stan guessed that it was a Gloc, based on the size and compactness. It clearly wasn't Ashley's gun. Her cargo pants were ripped at the knees and blood stains had etched their way into the fabric.

Stan could feel the tension in the air. He wanted to jump off of the trash bin and see if she was alright. He resisted the urge and focused on feeling out the situation. He could now make out her expression. It looked like she had been crying. He figured that it was something that Trent had done, but he couldn't be sure. The pain that he could sometimes see in her eyes had been replaced by anger. A fury that could turn anyone into dust or make them evaporate into nothing. She didn't make eye contact with him, but stopped not far from his perch.

She was close enough for Stan to make out the blood on her shirt now. He once again resisted the urge to jump up and see if she was okay. He just wanted to make sure that she wasn't hurt. He couldn't help but be curious about the thoughts running through her mind. They weren't good, he could see that. "Is everything alright, Ash?" He questioned her, but didn't get a response. Her full attention was on Trent.

Her eyes more dangerous than he thought could be possible. They shouted out that everything was far from okay. Something had pushed her over the edge.

"Why'd you do it?" Her voice was ragged. Definitely a sign that she had been crying, but she was standing stronger now then ever.

Stan looked over at Trent. He was sure that this had something to do with Eddie's sudden need to clean his gun. Something had went down and Ashley had been there. No doubt about it. The question was what.