Chapter 13

Dom was pleased to be out of that hell hole. Jail wasn't as bad as many said it was, but he never enjoyed it. Time went by slowly after Ashley had visited him. He wanted to know how she was doing and halfway expected her to have come back to visit him before he had been released. It wasn't a big deal that she hadn't visited him, but he was curious to know how she was doing. Or if she was even still alive.

He was pretty sure he would have heard something while doing his time if anything had happened to her. Trent's gang was decently well known in the area and rumor's quickly spread if he acted on any defiance in his gang. He was tough on his people, but not as tough as he could be.

Dom knew the dangers involved with the leader and knew how terrible he could be. Heartless might have been a better word. He wasn't a force to reckon with, but if necessary that wouldn't stop Dom from taking what was his and making the leader pay a hefty price in return. He had the skills and he had the wits to make it happen. He had no doubt about that.

Most of the people that randomly lined the sidewalk on the way to where he was going he knew. There was no reason to talk with them and they had no reason to talk with him. They knew some of what he had been through and they knew the anger that he suppressed. In spite of all of that, none of them knew him. At least not really know him. He liked to keep things that way. It was easier to have people fear him rather than know his weaknesses.

Walking through the apartment buildings doorway always brought back memories. He wouldn't deny that they hurt to remember and think about, but that was life. The pain reminded him of how quickly things in life can change and never to take every day for granted.

He turned a corner and began taking the steps two at a time. He was tired and in no mood to speak to people. He wanted to rest, tomorrow was new day filled with its own challenges. He made it up to wear he wanted to be and pulled a key from the top of the doorframe. It was dusty. With a quick breath, he blew the gray powder off of the key and inserted it into the door. It clicked within a few seconds. Dom put the key back and opened the door slowly.

The apartment looked normal except for a woman curled up on the floor. He recognized Ashley's small body and shook his head. At least she's still alive. Quietly, he closed the door and locked it. There was no need for someone to sneak in on them. With a silent sigh, he took off his shoes and walked over next to her.

The small body quivered in her sleep. Dom knew the feeling and could only guess the nightmare that she must have been having. The horrors of the street could either be blocked out or only suppressed. Either way, those thoughts had to be blocked or suppressed if anyone planned to live semi-normal lives without going crazy.

He leaned down next to her and eyed up the fresh bruise coming in on her face. He shook his head knowing full well who gave it to her. He no longer blamed her for not coming to visit him. Not that he blamed her, more like he questioned why she hadn't come back. The risk would have been too dangerous. He looked at the cabinet in front of her shaky body and noticed it slightly open. He smiled. She had been snooping. He gently pushed it closed and stood up.

Hunger made his stomach growl. He slipped away from the sleeping body and into the kitchen. Carefully, he pulled down a bowl from the cupboard and set it down. He pulled a box of Krispy cocoa puffs from the corner of the counter and poured it into his bowl. The sound of the bag was loud enough to pull Ashley out of her dream.

Her breathing was heavy as she looked around the room. She didn't see anything, but she was sure that she had heard something.

"How long have you been here?" Dom asked her while pulling out a spoon for his cereal. He figured that it would scare her that she was no longer alone in the room, but he knew that she'd get over it. He heard a gun's hammer be cocked back as he turned around. "How badly do you want to use that?" He arched an eyebrow.