Chapter 19

Time had went by too fast. Dom's heart ached to be back with Ashley right then and there. He had a job to do though and a lot of thinking that left his mind running ramped. He walked as a man that was smooth and knew his job. He had never had a problem having a walk that echoed that. It was part of the role of the life that he led he guessed. Chloe had always said how hot it was. She would have begged him to walk away from her just so she could see the way his body moved in his swagger.

Dom bit back the smile edging his lips as he thought about the things she'd say to him. A quiet wave of sadness washed over him as he thought about the goodbye that he'd have to say. It was time to move on and let her rest in peace. The idea of it made his heart break, but it needed to break to be open fully for Ash.

He ignored the homeless people scattered around the broken up sidewalks. This was by no means a place known for being safe, nor a place known for being plush. He recognized a few of the older hobos that used to be in gangs. Years had gone by, rendering them useless and too scarred up to be capable of doing anything but walking the streets. He was amazed by how some of them survived as well as they did.

"Miko's been asking for you." Liv slid in line next to him. Nobody knew really anything about the girl and she liked to keep it that way. Nobody knew her last name, but she had proven herself enough within the walls of their gang not to make a difference who she was. She was smart and bright, just the way Miko liked his people.

"Did he say why?" Dom inquired. He might as well know what he was up against. He looked over at the girl, noticing the bright purple that she had blended in with her bleach blonde hair. She always kept her hair curled and just in between her shoulders and ears. He often wondered how she had any time to doll herself up, but somehow she managed quite well.

"Nope. We've been hearing rumors about you hanging out with some girl now that you're out of that pit of hell." She scoffed at him and his time in lock up.

He looked down at her, but kept every emotion in check. He didn't breathe a word to her, knowing that she was fishing for information. He knew that she knew way better than that, but didn't blame the girl for trying.

"It's probably something about that." She gently looked up at him. Without even a brief warning she lightly punched him in his shoulder. "Missed ya around here."

A small smile caught the edge of Dom's lip. He brushed it off with a grunt. "Sure ya did."

Liv jumped in front of him, pulling him to a halting stop. "No, I'm not kidding. Everyone has their part here, but nobody is quite the same without you here."

Dom watched her thoughtfully. He sighed at thinking about leaving them all. They had really become his family. He pushed passed her and kept walking. "You would have managed."

Liv hesitated in following him. "You in a bad mood or something, Dom?" She tested the waters, obviously trying to decide whether or not to stick close to him.

With another sigh, Dom stopped. He turned around and looked at her. Her big blue eyes were enough to stop anyone in their tracks. In spite of her innocent look, she was every bit as deadly as he was. He flashed a small smile at her. "It's just been a long day, Liv. I'm sorry. I've missed you, too."

Liv walked over to him and gave him a big hug. She pulled away and walked passed him. "You coming? Or are you going to keep Miko waiting?" Her walk showed her satisfaction that he wasn't going to be a dick around her. She knew that he knew better than that.

Guilt for desiring a better life than being on the streets coursed through him. He swallowed hard and walked up next to the girl. He draped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. "Did you do something different with your hair while I've been gone?"