Chapter 7

They'd been back for a few days now, and everything seemed to be all right. Trent clearly hadn't been happy, but he seemed unusually understanding.

"It happens." Was all that he had said to them together. He specifically had asked to speak to Cam alone and Ashley had taken her leave.

Later Cam had caught up with her and told her that everything was fine and that they may have a new job soon. It all seemed too generous from their boss, but hey, an extra chance was more than perfect for her. She still had a debt to pay off and after their last fail there was a good chance that she had more added to her debt. They had to wait for more details, but another trip would be a good chance to better prove herself.

She had taken time to carefully document everything that had happened in her journal. She had been cautious not to allow herself to be followed. If anyone caught wind of her documenting everything that had happened during her time in the gang there was no telling what they'd do to her. It was a dangerous game she was playing, but if they ever needed to get out or needed a bargaining chip then they'd have one. She needed to carefully document the facts to give to the police or to use as a threat to Trent if ever need be. She would have to make it all count.

Ashley walked by Eddie on her route to check out what was going on in their neighborhood. Neighboring rivals needed to stay out and she would make sure of it. She noted Eddie's bruised knuckles as he cleaned his gun. "Trouble?" She asked cautiously.

Eddie didn't bother to look up at her. He continued to work on his gun. "In a matter of speaking. What are you up to?"

"I was just going to see if there's any trespassers. No need for any competition." She said slowly.

He nodded. "Good job on putting di'Liardo away."

"Trent didn't seem to think so." She was surprised by his sudden gratitude. It's not like she had just done that to Dom. Some time had already passed by.

"His priorities are changing, and the way you did it cost him money. You could have been smarter about it." He pointed out.

"Not as easily." She commented as she thought back to the scenario.

"Maybe not, but you need to think out of the box on stuff like that. Be smart. We all know you have it in you." The hidden compliment was odd for Eddie, but Ash wouldn't hesitate to take it.

She nodded calmly and began walking away. Perhaps there was a reason for Eddie's compliment. Or perhaps she was still being too wary. Wariness was important to keep her alive though.

The sun had begun to creep out from under the scattered clouds. It would help warm the day up, since it was already chillier than she cared for. It made for a good brisk walk around the area though, and that was good for clearing her head. Her gun was neatly kept in the small of her back and she was ready for trouble to rise up. It seemed quiet and oddly peaceful today though. Not that she minded too much, it was nice to have nothing specifically happening.

A few blocks passed by rather quickly with no action happening. She noticed a cop car slowly following behind her. Its lights flickered briefly as it slid in alongside the sidewalk that she was walking on. She sighed and rolled her eyes. She stopped and turned to wait for the cop to get out of the car.

"What did I possibly do wrong, Tom?" She addressed the cop as he got out of his car.

He was unusually serious. Normal for cops, she supposed, but not as normal for him whenever he stopped to talk with her. "Ashley, I need you to come to the morgue with me."